Couple of pointers please

T.ANIMAL

Reaction score
Hi all, bit of of input required please lads,

1, ive always staggered the joints on ledgers as well as handrail, getting told now that only stagger the ledgers, can anyone shed light on it.

2, ladder beams bridging an opening on the last 2 drawings are going off 1 standard ethier side, ive always gone across 2.

Hi all, bit of of input required please lads,

1, ive always staggered the joints on ledgers as well as handrail, getting told now that only stagger the ledgers, can anyone shed light on it.

2, ladder beams bridging an opening on the last 2 drawings are going off 1 standard ethier side, ive always gone across 2.

I always did the same T ANIMAL , now if you have design drawings showing different and the engineer can justify his/her calculations then you'll just after go with them.

Agree with IAN. Drawings are classed as the bible nowadays so not worth putting your own c@*k on the block. Just follow the drawings then sit back and laugh when it all goes wrong.

As for your 2 points raised I agree with you too.

we just stagger ledgers, normal practice is 2 standards but you got to adhere to the design drawing !!!or at least take it to your superviser/

Stagger ledgers, dont bother staggering handrails, always through 2 standards with the beam.

I was told to stagger the joints in the hand rail and ledgers, this is because if the ledgers joint is more than a third in the bay the hand rail sailing through will compensate for this.

I was told to stagger the joints in the hand rail and ledgers, this is because if the ledgers joint is more than a third in the bay the hand rail sailing through will compensate for this.

So if the lift is loaded up to the hilt cos of a window licker hod carrier and the ledger starts to bow with the load how does the guardrail stop the ledger from sliding out of the Joint ? :wondering:

(1) I only ever staggered the ledgers not the handrails. Reason been that a handrail is not actually a load bearing or essential member of the structure, other than a safety device.
(2) have always fixed ladder beam on 2 standards either side. If only 1 set of beams was available, I would sleeve them with tube and splice the joints. B

Agree with IAN. Drawings are classed as the bible nowadays so not worth putting your own c@*k on the block. Just follow the drawings then sit back and laugh when it all goes wrong.

As for your 2 points raised I agree with you too.

:laugh:

Quality quote!!

Starting off with the first bay,youve done a 16 ledger then using an 8 for bottom handrail, then another 16 top handrail then another 8 ledger for next lift ive stagged all the joints bay sizes of 1.8 on a run of 100 ft say, using all 16,s after that wheres the problem then just reverse the inside ledger. am i making sense:sick:

goto the drawing and nothing else , its all about covering your ass these days ...

depending on the job really but generally i tend to make sure the sleeves for my handrail arent in same bay as my ledgers , so if that makes sense lol

basically i dont stagger the 2 handrails themselves but do make sure most times that sleeves arent in same bay as ledger below.

yip 2 stds each side of gap for beams but as most say go with pictures or see supervisor

Yep, always stagger joints on ledgers. keep handrail the same all the way up through the scaffold. It's easier working from your scaffstep.

As for single standard either end on beams, forget it. Had it once on a design for a 20Kn/m2 loading bay with a six metre span and beams went in at four metres high!! How the F*** were we supposed to build it, brace it, prevent it from moving etc?!! Went straight back to the engineer, told him to get a clue and learn the scaffolding (important) side of his job. Besides, at construction college we are all taught to put two standards on the end of beam section.

Well this what on another thread bout spigots and sleeves,
Nasc TG20.08 states,

9.2 Joints
Joints in ledgers may be made with sleeve couplers or expanding joint pins. Where tension is likely to occur. Only class B sleeve couplers should be used. Joints in ledgers on the same lift and in adjacent lifts should not normally occur in the same bay. However, when guardrails are to remain permanently in place, the absence of a joint in the guardrail in any bay may be accepted as giving sufficient continuity to the scaffold to permit joints in the ledgers above and below it in the same bay. Where joints are necessary they should be positioned at a distance not greater than one third of the span between adjacent standards.

Last edited:
1) Just ledgers staggered.
2) Two standards taking beams.

Top Bottom