%. costs.

brandy

Reaction score
Anybody got an idea of the norm % cost of scaffolding on a well run project.

story had it 10% mate , but i should imagine every job varies

you could have a point there phil...................................................

you could have a point there phil...................................................

We always work on the very rough basis that scaffolding will swallow up around 1% of the project value on a new build.

Usually not too far out, either....

I was thinking about 5% as an average, my thinking being that there would be a safety % cost allowed for in the cost estimate of the project, though not sure. trying to get an idea for a meeting in the next few days re, anticipated price reduction demand.

I was thinking about 5% as an average, my thinking being that there would be a safety % cost allowed for in the cost estimate of the project, though not sure. trying to get an idea for a meeting in the next few days re, anticipated price reduction demand.

Their target is 0% mate!

Scaffolding is expensive, considered dangerous, takes up shed loads of space and the client doesn't get anything for their money!

The customer will always appreciate you trying to put together a scheme that will save them some money - But in my experience, the cleverer the customer try's to be in saving money on the scaffold package - the more they spend on variations.

As an example - 5% of the Shard's value is approx £16.5 million. They wouldn't be able to find the room for all that scaffolding even if they had a fully boarded, façade scaffold with a temporary roof!

I bet Mace won't spend more than £3-4million....

Agree with you Phil. 0% if they can get away with it. The budgeted cost for the project was 20mil. coming to an end now. The scaffolding costs were around 300k 1.5%. I anticipate them looking for a reduction, hence the query. I may have to give something, but want to be sure of my ground and hold out for as little a cut as possible.

Agree with you Phil. 0% if they can get away with it. The budgeted cost for the project was 20mil. coming to an end now. The scaffolding costs were around 300k 1.5%. I anticipate them looking for a reduction, hence the query. I may have to give something, but want to be sure of my ground and hold out for as little a cut as possible.

Did you give them a 2.5% PC's discount in the main package?

I never understand the whole discount thing at the final valuation stage. Agreed costs and variations carried out at the agreed rates. Why the discount?

These characters rarely have the clout or the authority to promise further contracts anyway....

No discount Phil, nor will I be offering or agreeing to a suggestion of one. The job was run by one of those Project managing companies and the client who I do most of my work for direct insist on 100% safety, if you need to work with your 2 feet of the ground then its a scaffold, or an MEWP, or similar, no ladders, no steps allowed. That pushes up the scaffolding costs, its what the client insists on, so that will be my main arguement.

Most construction estimators work on a basis of 1.5% of the construction costs for scaffolding & hoardings!:laugh:

Traditionally its has always been 1% of the Overall Project Value for Scaffold..

As for discounts at the Final Account...I'll leave that particular bunfight to you... :confused:

As the way things are at present it look's like some firms are working for 0.00%.

Good to hear from you again PW. I too have been of while for the past 6 months and just getting back into things.

Don't know the percentage but I bet scaffoldings the first thing they look at when it comes to cutting costs.

Welcome back Celtic Warrior.

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

I was talking to a manager from one of the nationals who tells me they are pricing jobs at a 5-10% loss to make sure they win the work and keep the cash moving to try meet all their obligations but by the time they squeeze the subbies to death when they do their sums again they are still turning a 8-15% profit. If they are pricing at a loss that's their business but I don't have to and have no intention of propping up larger construction firms who have been mis-managed during the good times. Stick to your guns and every time they ask for a discount kick them in the stones and eventually they will get the idea.:cool:

As the way things are at present it look's like some firms are working for 0.00%.

Welcome back, CelticWarrior

Many thanks...its nice to be back, who do you reckon for the Six Nations then? I really believe England are going to do it this year..

It's funny you should say that PW, I was looking back through the old threads and I was going to start a new six nations thread for 2011. I will stick one up now - http://www.scaffoldersforum.com/scaffolders-forum-pub/6720-six-nations-2011-a.html

Hopefully there will be a few more contributors this year!

Last edited:
Thank's AOM,

I think England have a good chance this year but Iwould like to believe that Ireland could be up there too and judging by Leinster over the past few games I would like to see Declan Kidney give a few more young guns more playing time if not for the Six Nations but for the run up to the World Cup.

England
France
Ireland/Scotland
Italy
Wales

Top Bottom