Construction Dangers (UCATT)

Rigger

Reaction score
From

www.ucatt.org.uk

New Figures Underline Dangers of Construction

UCATT are warning that government policies will make the industry more dangerous, as the publication of the latest statistics on deaths and injuries once again underline construction’s dangers.

Detailed figures published today (November 2nd) by the Health and Safety Executive confirm that fatalities rose by 20 per cent in 2010/11, with 50 workers being fatally injured.

George Guy, Acting General Secretary of UCATT, said: “These figures are a terrible indictment on the dangers faced by construction workers. This rise in deaths came at a time when workloads are low. As work levels increase and new workers enter the industry, I fear that death rates will rise.

Mr Guy, added: “This situation is made far worse as the Health and Safety Executive will increasingly struggle to ensure workers safety, as they are facing cuts in their budget of 35% by 2015. Even before these cuts were introduced most construction workers only ever saw an HSE inspector when a death or serious injury had already occurred.”

The HSE figures also reveal that construction workers are the profession most at risk of developing occupational cancer. Construction accounts for 56% of occupational cancer registrations in men. The great risk remains exposure to asbestos, which accounts for 71% of cases where workers have been exposed to a carcinogenic substance.

Mr Guy, further added: “The risk of being exposed to asbestos or other carcinogenic substances is not purely historic. Workers continue to be exposed to lethal substances, on a daily basis. Employers know the risks and there must be no excuses to workers being exposed to lethal substances.”

my bold type rigger

Last edited:
It must have been doom and gloom day at the hse as they also issued warnings that farmers continue to be the worst performers by far in regard to safety.

Statistics can be used to make anything look good or bad, we are the safest country in Europe by a country mile. I was at a seminar the other day where the speaker said if you want to work unsafe work in Europe. 60% of those deaths are people over 45 who state it will never happen to me!

Farmers ...in the main work alone,they take on task's that should require two men, if injured and unconcious they can lay for hours before any alarm is raised and if bleeding this can prove fatal

Which should mean a few more visits from hse to make sure everything is as it should be as there have been no improvement in their statistics since records were collated as opposed to the average construction worker.

Statistics can be used to make anything look good or bad, we are the safest country in Europe by a country mile. I was at a seminar the other day where the speaker said if you want to work unsafe work in Europe. 60% of those deaths are people over 45 who state it will never happen to me!

What the feck are you trying to say in the above post

A 20% rise in fatal injuries is a FACT. One worker a week is going off to work in a morning and not returning home to his family and friends

Has the "speaker" at your "seminar" ever worked on a construction site. Or is he another academic that knows it all as he read all the right books

Less speakers and seminars and more policing of current legislation in the UK would result in a reversal of the current trends in H & S

There will be a lot more visits after April when it is £133 per hour and they hope to bring in 33 million. Most of the focus is on small to medium size enterprises as the big ones are doing ok with large safety teams. It will be an average of £500 per notice, imagine having an asbestos licence.

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

A 20% rise in fatal injuries is a FACT. One worker a week is going off to work in a morning and not returning home to his family and friends

Has the "speaker" at your "seminar" ever worked on a construction site. Or is he another academic that knows it all as he read all the right books

Less speakers and seminars and more policing of current legislation in the UK would result in a reversal of the current trends in H & S

The speaker was a guy called Jason anker, a wheelchair bound paralysed ex roofer.

Is that the guy who only fell a few feet?

Yeah he has a video out and he is now on the speaking circuit.

I saw it in Inverness, the hse are showing it round the doors to get a reaction. A sad story for sure and good on him for turning a disaster in to a positive, eventually.

I saw it in Inverness, the hse are showing it round the doors to get a reaction. A sad story for sure and good on him for turning a disaster in to a positive, eventually.

He's a good bloke and he knows it's his fault and he is the first to admit.

"The speaker was a guy called Jason anker, a wheelchair bound paralysed ex roofer."

With respect to the guy.

A Roofer is the last person I would approach as to safe working at height

suppose he was the tear jerker at your seminar, another reformed character no doubt with all the answers

"The speaker was a guy called Jason anker, a wheelchair bound paralysed ex roofer."

With respect to the guy.

A Roofer is the last person I would approach as to safe working at height

suppose he was the tear jerker at your seminar, another reformed character no doubt with all the answers

I have seen quite a few of these and at the end of the day he is earning a living not moping about but it's changed his life. His attitude was it will never happen to me like most people who are killed or seriously injured. I think it's around 46 deaths this year and it's 46 too many but we are still the safest around as other countries factor death into the price, the deaths were only lower the other year due to the recession.

We will struggle to lower this trend whilst looking at the solar panel thread at 210 quid for a house.

---------- Post added at 11:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 PM ----------

There as never been as many police as there are now but we haven't stamped out crime. If I had the answer to stopping fatalities I'd bottle it and sell it.

Just thought I post some stats---see Number 11 in the Tables...

I hope that they have attached...

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 PM ----------

shazbat---file was too big...

roofers erect their own shambles and pass it off as scaffolding in and around glasgow,were is the hse when these are going up and why doesnt the nasc put pressure on their good biddied in the hse to put an end to this.
rather than bullying small scaffolding companys to comply with their self impose regulations.maybe then we will see better stats regarding safety in construction

Just out of interest how many of these deaths where scaffolders ?

None

---------- Post added at 07:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 AM ----------

:eek:

---------- Post added at 07:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 AM ----------

Sorry I am wrong here, 1 died in Dundee earlier this year

Happy---a very valid point, aom raised this observation some time ago---HSE cited lack of Man power to regulate :eek:

Im sure that we have ALL observed non-compliant Scaffold Structures the length and breadth of the country, they stick out like a sore thumb, yet they are tolerated, one must ask the QUESTION WHY---on the other hand is a Scaffold Firm erects a Structure out with spec they are whacked...

Lets have a level playing field---Target ALL Scaffolds both Traditional and System, whether Erected by Scaffold Firms or Builders...

There will be a lot more visits after April when it is £133 per hour and they hope to bring in 33 million. Most of the focus is on small to medium size enterprises as the big ones are doing ok with large safety teams. It will be an average of £500 per notice, imagine having an asbestos licence.

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

The speaker was a guy called Jason anker, a wheelchair bound paralysed ex roofer.

Thats who I have just listened too very moving and makes you look at thinks in a different light ie the consequences I am at home looking at my 4 year old boy and thinking how hard it must be for Jason in the wheel chair, and as Jason stipulated it was his choice / decision to engage in a unsafe act:sad2:

Top Bottom