condemned scaffold

joebag

Reaction score
With all these two day safety nonces flying about who is or can legally condemn a scaffold on say a street job....what if any are the guidelines for this and if the condemner is wrong is he then liable for lost business etc....

Before its asked no all of mine are fully boarded with at least two flat clips with gloves on a plastic soil pipe :blink:

Joe we all know how easy it is to pick faults with scaffolding, as a health and safety consultant with 226 years experience I personally only condemn a scaffold if it was in a state of collapse, otherwise I would just make recommendations for alterations. That said you cant account for 2 day warriors

With all these two day safety nonces flying about who is or can legally condemn a scaffold on say a street job....what if any are the guidelines for this and if the condemner is wrong is he then liable for lost business etc....

Before its asked no all of mine are fully boarded with at least two flat clips with gloves on a plastic soil pipe :blink:

:unsure: I had to span about 9m over a conservatory of a restaurant. Didn't have alloy beams so sleeved and spliced another few meters onto 7m ladder beams, staggered and braced them and put two lifts on it.
Not sure how that would've played out had the sh1t hit the fan. :eek:

Last edited:

Would be fair to say that anyone deemed as a competent person could theoretically condemn a Scaffold. Then an investigation into why said Scaffold was condemned would take place.

Good shout about the liability of lost earnings etc. no idea how that would pan out.

duty of care may well give every user the "right to intervene" and condemm a Scaffold,or at least STOP THE JOB until any doubt had been corrected etc.

ITS THE EASIEST JOB IN SCAFFOLDING
THE SO CALLED INSPECTION
i and anyone else can walk around any town or city and slag the life out of many many Scaffolds,its easy but how many do we say CRACKING JOB.

IF YOU DONT HAVE ANYTHING NICE TO SAY THEN DONT SAY ANYTHING AT ALL
my wee Mammy never got tired of saying that to me.
Says a lot about me eh:eek:

As far as i'm aware its only an HSE inpector that has the power to legally put a prohibition notice onto a scaffold -or a removal notice in extreame circumstances...the term condemned is not wildly used anymore.
these 2day wonder courses only give the person holding it the proof of competance to inspect a structure, if they, like any other competant person deem the scaffold so unsafe as not to use then they can only advise pulling the tag or ladder untill the faults have been rectified but have no legal authority to "condemn" it, they are however the main contractors appointed person ultimitly responsible for the scaffold to be in a safe order & as such it would be them who would be legally responsible should a defect that they failed to notice & report on, cause a failure in the structure or a dangerous work practice which may cause an injury or death....so of course theyre gonna be all over your scaffold like a rash, but just becauce theyre a safety officer doesnt necessarily mean they know more about scaffolding then you do - so if your 100% certain on the facts or reasons then tell em- theyre soon realise your not such a dumb fcuk & give u a bit more respect

I would ask for the content of his report, have a good looks at his Observation and Breaches of Statutory requirements, secondly, ask him for his recommendations and any corrective and or remedial works required...

If that fails, tell his to £uck off...

Firstly gary i'd ask his qualifations lol wasnt that long ago i had a 2day basic inspector try & pull me up on a shore that was built using 6 differnt sets of drawings & who not only was unqualified to do so but had no comprehention of the design

To be honest its exactly what I thought, with our experience plus the card system we are so much more qualified on paper than these 2 day nonces....I have absolutely no problem with a structual engineer or one of my peers pulling me on one of my jobs ,as I know as much as it could be knocked constructive criticism and corrective advice is a absolutely necessary to accept, if you want to be a seasoned scaff in my book !

So basically my advice is to not recognise there cards or advice as the only recourse would be to move onto another job....and the repercussions of this would be to strengthen the respect for scaffs knowledge and experience .

One of the developers we work for employed a outside saftey consultancy who were so over zelous & eager to show their worth of the high fees they were charging that they were told if they didnt calm down a little they would be releived of their duties

Im pretty sure council surveyors can stick a prohibition or improvement notice on scaffold, tho most wouldnt know what to look for.

Top Bottom