Competent to Qualified , New WAH 2013 regs

• Thread starter scaffoldingsafetyservices
  • Start date
S

scaffoldingsafetyservices

Under the HASWA ect 1974 everybody is accountable for prosecution. will this make Instructors and Training centres accountable if the candidates are passed and signed off so they gain the new qualified status. Then they have a serious accident because its a bit like learning to drive. (you start learning when you have passed.) The instructor has passed the candidate under the criteria and guidelines they have to adher to. The question is : WHO WILL BE ACCOUNTABLE for the incompetence? will it be the CISRS Training manager , The Instructor or The Training centres for working to Criteria?

Has the work at height actually changed or has someone just put another spin on it?

next year AOM. clarity required. Same question asked to the Nebosh instuctor today and his reply was. "you need this situation clarifying by the HSE URGENTLY."

Im hoping Simon Hughes can clarify some info on the above question...

Last edited:
Under the HASWA ect 1974 everybody is accountable for prosecution. will this make Instructors and Training centres accountable if the candidates are passed and signed off so they gain the new qualified status. Then they have a serious accident because its a bit like learning to drive. (you start learning when you have passed.) The instructor has passed the candidate under the criteria and guidelines they have to adher to. The question is : WHO WILL BE ACCOUNTABLE for the incompetence? will it be the CISRS Training manager , The Instructor or The Training centres for working to Criteria?

Simon does not visit this site so i'll reply for him:

Competent and Qualified is a suggestion by a industry body to the HSE to consider so we may be jumping the gun here until its considered. If you feel this is wrong then write to the HSE or the SCCR could do this on your behalf as every idea has good and bad in it.

If you have read the Lofsted report where this review of the Work at Height has been commissioned it leans towards clarity of what is work at height more than training because some people think standing on a kerb is work at height, working on the bottom rung of a ladder is work at height. The report stated that some managers do not know what is working at height and what isn't hence more clarity is needed in the review.

On the subject of training centres and instructors firstly how many driving instructors and examiners have been prosecuted for someone passing and killing themself in the first week, i would say none as you can pass today and if you have enough money be driving a ferrari tomorrow. Same as you can do a pavement gantry with beams 4-6m off the floor in a training centre today and be 40m up next week doing the same, would you be comfortable putting your new 19 year old part 2 in charge of that.

On the scaffolding side a good centre will provide the candidate's company with an assessment after they have been on their training, this will say whether they have been strong or weak in certain areas in a A-E format with comments, like a school report. It is up to the company to read this and know their strengths. The training centre trains and assesses through QCF and Courses, if they make the grade then they pass, we have had numerous failures and failed 5 apprentices recently, they have to resit the course and this is not the first time.

In my work as an expert witness we have before today received copies of test papers and training courses to assess to see if they met the criteria as the inspector has had a collapse or someone is injured. It may not be CISRS, it may be done by an instructor that does not meet the CISRS requirements, then they may be taken to task.

However if the instructor is experienced, advanced scaffolder, A1 assessor and instructor qualified to PTLLS minimum and teaching to a recognised course specification that meets national standards then the chances are slim.

Ian

---------- Post added at 07:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

Last edited:
[/COLOR]
Simon does not visit this site so i'll reply for him:

Competent and Qualified is a suggestion by a industry body to the HSE to consider so we may be jumping the gun here until its considered. If you feel this is wrong then write to the HSE or the SCCR could do this on your behalf as every idea has good and bad in it.

If you have read the Lofsted report where this review of the Work at Height has been commissioned it leans towards clarity of what is work at height more than training because some people think standing on a kerb is work at height, working on the bottom rung of a ladder is work at height. The report stated that some managers do not know what is working at height and what isn't hence more clarity is needed in the review.

On the subject of training centres and instructors firstly how many driving instructors and examiners have been prosecuted for someone passing and killing themself in the first week, i would say none as you can pass today and if you have enough money be driving a ferrari tomorrow. Same as you can do a pavement gantry with beams 4-6m off the floor in a training centre today and be 40m up next week doing the same, would you be comfortable putting your new 19 year old part 2 in charge of that.

On the scaffolding side a good centre will provide the candidate's company with an assessment after they have been on their training, this will say whether they have been strong or weak in certain areas in a A-E format with comments, like a school report. It is up to the company to read this and know their strengths. The training centre trains and assesses through QCF and Courses, if they make the grade then they pass, we have had numerous failures and failed 5 apprentices recently, they have to resit the course and this is not the first time.

In my work as an expert witness we have before today received copies of test papers and training courses to assess to see if they met the criteria as the inspector has had a collapse or someone is injured. It may not be CISRS, it may be done by an instructor that does not meet the CISRS requirements, then they may be taken to task.

However if the instructor is experienced, advanced scaffolder, A1 assessor and instructor qualified to PTLLS minimum and teaching to a recognised course specification that meets national standards then the chances are slim.

Last one if a centre has never had any failures then it could be seen that it is putting profit before training.

Ian F

Ian thanks for the reply, I know what you are aiming at but overall would it be the employer, Instructor, ect at fault if the HSE felt they could take a case all the way on accountabilites and working down the chain?
The wording of QUALIFIED is quite daunting wouldnt you agree?
Steve?

Last edited:
[/COLOR]

Ian thanks for the reply, I know what you are aiming at but overall would it be the employer, Instructor, ect at fault if the HSE felt they could take a case all the way on accountabilites and working down the chain?
The wording of QUALIFIED is quite daunting wouldnt you agree?
Steve?

I looked both up in the oxford english dictionary and the main difference is qualified has trained in its definition, competent does not.

We are only gambling here in fault it could be everyones including the scaff, each case would be different, it may be his safety advisor who wrote the MS/RA. However everyone has a duty and at the end of the day everyone is an employee.

Ian

Maybe there should be something set out so tickets can be revoked

The final nail in the coffin for uncarded scaffs?and will the firms be made accountable if using uncarded labour?

So should I contact HSE over my concerns ? Surely we deserve some clarity on this situation.

Last edited:
I beg your pardon squire, that comment wasnt very professional of you! She actually does listen to all concerns for and against.. Maybe most might feel the HSE are hell to work with, I dont. This is what consultation and transitional periods are all about.

couple of weeks. copying? its easier with copy and paste. PMSL

Top Bottom