"Competent" replaced by "qualified"

mightymouse

Reaction score
ScaffMag has been informed by sources that the National Access & Scaffolding Confederation (NASC) has managed to persuade government bigwigs to replace the terminology ‘Competent’ or ‘Competence’ with ‘Qualified’ in the next updated Working at Height Regulations.

Although no official announcement from the NASC has been published as yet, The NASC are reportedly very happy with the outcome.

The battle began back in January 2012 after a government report by Professor Löfstedt on the review into existing Health and Safety legislation. One recommendation by Professor Löfstedt was to review the Work at Height Regulations by 2013. The NASC reacted with its own recommendation in shining light on one particular ‘grey’ area in the use of the terminology ‘competent’ and ‘competence’ which occur frequently throughout the current legislation.

More money to fork out in order to just get on site and earn your food for your families eh?
Just who do the fu.k do the NASC think they are eh, apart from thinking they are the ruling body for scaffolders.

Why are you out of it Fred, did you hang up the guns?
Not as a living for a few years now.
Still use them occasionally Al, Ask scaffy lol.
Going to renew my back roof so will be chucking one up for that this week.
Havnt decided if it should be a leana yet.:cool:

More money to fork out in order to just get on site and earn your food for your families eh?
Just who do the fu.k do the NASC think they are eh, apart from thinking they are the ruling body for scaffolders.

My guess is that this will continue until it is impossible for small businesses to operate leaving all the spoils for the NASC members. A sort of join us or die policy.

Not as a living for a few years now.
Still use them occasionally Al, Ask scaffy lol.
Going to renew my back roof so will be chucking one up for that this week.
Havnt decided if it should be a leana yet.:cool:

I must have misunderstood a few things then as I thought you were on the spanners all the time.

Do you miss it?

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

My guess is that this will continue until it is impossible for small businesses to operate leaving all the spoils for the NASC members. A sort of join us or die policy.

What about the small businesses that are already members? I'm looking forward to seeing the spoils. :laugh:

I must have misunderstood a few things then as I thought you were on the spanners all the time.

Do you miss it?

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

What about the small businesses that are already members? I'm looking forward to seeing the spoils. :laugh:

You will be quids in aom. The wife will have her eye on another castle

Can't wait, been a member now for 10 years and still waiting on the spoils. Might just refurbish the West Wing of Aom towers. ;)

ScaffMag has been informed by sources that the National Access & Scaffolding Confederation (NASC) has managed to persuade government bigwigs to replace the terminology ‘Competent’ or ‘Competence’ with ‘Qualified’ in the next updated Working at Height Regulations.

Although no official announcement from the NASC has been published as yet, The NASC are reportedly very happy with the outcome.

The battle began back in January 2012 after a government report by Professor Löfstedt on the review into existing Health and Safety legislation. One recommendation by Professor Löfstedt was to review the Work at Height Regulations by 2013. The NASC reacted with its own recommendation in shining light on one particular ‘grey’ area in the use of the terminology ‘competent’ and ‘competence’ which occur frequently throughout the current legislation.

Interesting

Ground workers working over an excavation
Window cleaner using a ladder
HSE Inspector walking around scaffold
Bricklayer,joiner etc working on scaffold
The list goes on , will all now need work at height training. At first I bet it will be in- house then it will go to renewable card. I wonder if this is because they have realised that all the people they have given cards are not guaranteed to be competent but at least they're qualified ( arse covering) .

Time you younguns get your roboscaff kit on..us dinasaurs will be on the way home.lol.

Scaffs spied on by big brutha now.

EXCLUSIVE: The NASC succeed in battle to replace ‘Competent’ with ‘Qualified’ in regulations review.

ScaffMag has been informed by sources that the National Access & Scaffolding Confederation (NASC) has managed to persuade government bigwigs to replace the terminology ‘Competent’ or ‘Competence’ with ‘Qualified’ in the next updated Working at Height Regulations....

The NASC succeed in battle to replace 'Competent' with 'Qualified' in regulations review ScaffMag - The Scaffolding Magazine

Competence is measured by 3 factors: Knowledge, Experience and Qualifications.

Oh well 10,000 new tickets when that happens!!

All assessed route of entry tickets will be re-called.

Just as they planned!!!:(

Thought assessed route closed a year back??

Assessed route closed a long time ago.

But the guys who took this route did not have the so called training. It was an assessment of the scaffolders ability.

The test that should have been used for ECITB scaffolders.

Now you attend a course & they say you have been trained.

Qualified would need a training element hence the 10,000 scaffolders that took this route would be in danger of losing their ticket the next time it is renewed.

Cannot see how this change can be made.

1/ Who will audit the training centers?

2/ Who will grant the qualification?

3/ Will all scaffolders have to work for an NASC company.

I hope this information is wrong!

Top Bottom