Chopper goes down in the northsea

andyf8686

Reaction score
A helicopter carrying 14 people has ditched in the North Sea off Aberdeen, police say.

Initial reports suggest there were no fatalities.

Grampian police said the chopper was forced down 25 miles off the coast of Aberdeen at 12.15pm.

Rescue boats and helicopters are on the way to the area.

More follows...

everyone is safe according to reports.
its another bond chopper,they operate the air ambulance/rescue as well and they just started flying them again yesterday.
the best of it is the same ***** took my magnetic bead off me because it may cause hassle with the instrumentation :mad:

Aberdeen & North

Helicopter carrying 14 people ditches into the North Sea off Aberdeen
By Leanna MacLarty 10 May 2012 12:44 BST

Bond helicopter: An aircraft has ditched into sea.STV

A helicopter carrying 14 people has ditched into the North Sea off Aberdeen.

All passengers and crew have survived the crash, which emergency services are referring to as a "controlled ditching".

All helicopter flights from Aberdeen have now been suspended as an investigation is launched into the circumstances of the ditching.

It is understood that everyone made it out of the aircraft and into a liferaft waiting to be picked up.

The helicopter, a Super Puma EC225, is sitting upright in the water.

It is understood it had left Aberdeen and was on a journey to the Maersk Resilient platform, and then on to Ensco 102, for oil operator Britannia, an umbrella company for Chevron/ConocoPhillips.

The crew broadcast an alert saying they had been forced to ditch the aircraft into the sea. It is thought that an oil pressure light had come on and crew decided to ditch immediately into the sea instead of returning to Aberdeen or heading on to the platform.

The incident happened around 25 miles east of Aberdeen, at around 12.30pm on Thursday.

Two civilian helicopters were first at the scene. They were joined by RAF helicopters from Boulmer and Shetland and rescue crews from Aberdeen and Peterhead.

The first six casualties from the ditching were airlifted to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary shortly before 2pm.

It has been confirmed that the helicopter is owned by Aberdeen operator Bond. It is the third time in three years that a Super Puma helicopter has ditched into the North Sea.

In February 2009, 16 passengers and two crew survived when an EC225 helicopter ditched near a BP installation around 125 miles east of Aberdeen.

Six weeks later another Super Puma helicopter crashed into the North Sea, this time leading to the death of all 16 people on board.

A report by the Air Accident Investigation Branch (AAIB) said the pilots failed to notice the helicopter was descending into the sea about 300m short of a BP oil and gas platform.

The model of Super Puma involved in this crash is different from that involved in the fatal incident.

Earlier this week Bond grounded its entire fleet of Eurocopter EC135 helicopters across the UK over safety concerns.

Among those affected were the Scottish Ambulance Service’s two air ambulance helicopters that respond to emergencies across the country.

A crack was discovered on the main rotor hub, prompting a safety warning by the European Aviation Safety Agency (Easa).

Referring to the most recent incident, Jake Molloy, regional organiser with the RMT union, said: "If helicopters are landing in the North Sea, obviously you have to be concerned about safety but at this stage we don't know enough about what caused it."

Looking back on the previous incidents, he said: "It's still at the forefront of everybody's minds, which is why we need to know sooner rather than later what has caused this particular incident to allay any fears that people may have."

Related articles

Two years on: Service held for North Sea helicopter tragedy victims
Super Puma helicopters to return to service
Fatal helicopter crash occurred only six weeks after similar incident
North Sea helicopter survivor speaks out
BP suspends use of Super Puma helicopters
People who read this story also read

Travellers face second day of delays over derailed freight train
Man abducted from city centre street then dumped in countryside
Baby missing after falling overboard from ferry and plunging into sea
BrewDog accuses drinks giant of 'dirty tricks' over industry award
Hundreds of Scottish jobs secured as BMI Regional sold for £8m
In this section

Travellers face second day of delays over derailed freight train
Hundreds of Scottish jobs secured as BMI Regional sold for £8m
Man implicated in Arlene Fraser murder 'was not home when she disappeared'
Jobs go on small Scottish island as factory closes over ferry woes
Man for court after £10,000 of cannabis seized in drugs raid
BrewDog accuses drinks giant of 'dirty tricks' over industry award
Derailed train causes major disruption to northern rail services
Councillor publishes book chronicling 20 years as a wrestler
Labour to form coalition with Tories and independents in Aberdeen
Man abducted from city centre street then dumped in countryside
Want to leave a comment? Please sign in.

60 Second Scotland: Top Stories

it doesnt inspire confidence in bond , why always them? any time i got a call i would always hope i wasnt going to the heliport at bond

they are a pain in the arse all ive ever had is grieff,if they maintained their choppers the way they they scrutinise everyfecking thing in your bag.i had a fish/safety knive taken off me when i explained i got it on the platform last trip they BAM stated your not allowed to carry knives offshore i then explained its a safety knive,he then said but its still a knive,but its a safety knive etc.I was on the gargle and decided for once too keep my big mouth shut before the BAM got his drunk flyer bonus. :eek:

i used to get nervous just sitting in bonds waiting room , lol , just something about it , always felt comfortable at the other heliports

just glad theyre all safe

I never liked flying any off them but did get used to it eventually. All flights have still been grounded, the bears will be pleased.:eek:

Bristows and Scotia are still flying Bonds have grounded all there Super Pumas they rekon that things will be back to normal tomorrow

What about the poor bears stuck out there!

They won't be pleased. Did Bond and Scotia not merge years back?

Dont know if they did but the livery is different on the choppers

Someone will remind me but for a while it was all Bond and nothing else. That was when they were at there most dangerous with bits of chopper lying all over the place more like a scrap yard than a heliport. At least 1 flight a day had to turn back for some fault or other, a fekin disgrace actually.

Still happens now flights delayed because chopper goes tech just glad they find it on the ground and not in flight

Been turned back many times with oil dripping from the gear box a favourite. They eventually sent out a party of pilots to give the bears a talk to put their minds at rest which worked for a while then I was on board one flight when the fuel tanks flooded the cabin. I spent the rest of the flight watching the shadow of the chopper on the sea as he dropped in case he had to ditch waiting for the explosion. Funny the things that go through your mind, the emergency landing in Aberdeen wasn't pleasant either.

Top Bottom