Chas

S

southernpoofter

Have many people on here got thier chas accreditation & if so hows it affected the work etc .whats the benifits of it

Have many people on here got thier chas accreditation & if so hows it affected the work etc .whats the benifits of it

What is it? The only Chas i know is the one who used to sing with Dave.

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

Chemical Hazard Assessment System???

I do know a couple of guys who will guarantee you a pass on your paper work for a small fee.

Thanks Al - The assesment fee is only £250. LOL when i get back from my hols think im gonna go for it as ive had a cpl of clients ask about it so will have to look into it

Paper work is a bit of a nightmare though, I also know a few companies who charge a pretty penny for the same service.

We've had CHAS accreditation for three years now. As others have mentioned it can save you from filling in h&s questionnaires.
I've kept all our paperwork the same year after year where I can and just updated it as necessary but we've been pulled on a different thing every year.

Most of the assessor we've dealt with have been reasonable and you can talk to them if you have a problem.

Can u give an example of what type of thing have you been picked up on & did it cost you to resubmit

I did the CHAS submission a couple of times, and found the assessors to be very picky with little consistency between them. Remember it was stupid things they picked on such as proof of inspection and testing of fire alarms and extinguishers in the depot.

An SSiP accreditation is worth having as it proves you have H&S systems in place, and in many instances saves having to fill in a load of Contractors pre-qualification questionnaires. I'd recommend the SMAS accreditation - lot more construction orientated and the one a lot of the house builders have signed up to. If necessary, you can then get CHAS accreditation on the back of it as the schemes are affiliated.

Quick update & a bit of good news we just had it confirmed that we are now chas assessed & accredited ...wasnt too bad we pretty much fullfilled the criteria & just had to get everything in some type of order before submitting. Didnt fail but had to come up with a couple of xtra bits of paperwork etc & confirm a couple of things over the phone but all in all fairly painless

Last edited:
Ffs you wouldnt beleave it now we got it one of our main clients are insisting we have "safe contractor" even though theyre all part of the same ssip group.looks like here we go again.
Must admit though its saved us loads of paperwork everytime a MC requires h&s policy paperwork erc we just send the chas accreditation cert

Could be worse, they could of insisted your NASC registered.......

Dont even go there lol....the thing is most of the MCs we work with arnt totally stupid & dont really need the services that an nasc affiliated company nor do they believe in all the properganda that they dish out -although tbh they expect the same standard that the nasc & its guidance quote & the hse expect but at a reduced cost of a smaller company.
Something which is hard to achieve & still be financially viable to do as a smaller company. So the ssip companys show the MCs that your h&s policy & associated paperwork /insurances etc are up to the same standards through audit process similar to the nasc - regulated by the gov. & excepted by hse...only cheeper than the nasc

I suppose its the same as being a Scaffolder... more accreditations/qualifications a Firm has, more doors are opened to them.

Same as i spose only difference theres a big boys club trying to convince everyone that there way is the only way & trying to convince everyone that although there membership barely covers 10% of the industry that they represent the entire industry.;)

Top Bottom