Career advice - newbie

mrbruce

Reaction score
Hi,

Big hello to everyone, this is my first post.

Basically I'm 33 and need to sort my career out - been working in a warehouse for the past 18 months and it's time to move on. Scaffolding looks like a career which I'd enjoy and could be a high earner with plenty of prospect's and work.

I seem to remember reading hat if I do my H&S I can apply for a p1 card and then its just a case of finding someone to train me. (to get my foot in the door so to speak)??

Realistically what are my chances?, anyone else done this?, what are trainee pay rates like? would an agency be my best bet?

ps, don't feel i'm insulting your profession, I realise i'd have A LOT to learn, courses to do and stick to take.

Thanks for anyone's input.

I did it at 25 now 43 and still love the job phone around local firms try to get a start that's what I did can you drive a lorry try to get your tickets quick as possible money can be any were between £50 and £80 depend were you are south east and London are e best good scaffs can get £ 160 +

Best bet mt.apply to firms and agencys to do labouring .your part 1 will cost bout 900 but best thing to do is learn the trade before considering that .labours money aint great but we all got to start somewhere.go on line look up agencies and get on the phone .Yeah money is good if willing to put the hours and graft in.best of luck

The money is quite sh!t for the 1st few years and you will find it hard to get your foot in the door unless someone you know can get you a start.
You could end up wishing you were still in the warehouse on those winter mornings and wet days.

Tickets don't make you a scaffolder but they are required to get you in most places.

Sorry if it sounds a bit depressing but that is how it is.

You maybe a little old to start afresh in this game tbh if you fancy a change & wanna work on site look at getting ur forklift tckt as everdently theres a shortage of em & agencys will pay around £11.50ph for them which would take u several years to reach on the spanners wiv no experiance

Hi,

Basically I'm 33 and need to sort my career out - been working in a warehouse for the past 18 months and it's time to move on. Scaffolding looks like a career which I'd enjoy and could be a high earner with plenty of prospect's and work.

I seem to remember reading hat if I do my H&S I can apply for a p1 card and then its just a case of finding someone to train me. (to get my foot in the door so to speak)??

Realistically what are my chances?, anyone else done this?, what are trainee pay rates like? would an agency be my best bet?

Get a start labouring if u enjoy it stick with it if u don't enjoy it you'll never be good at it, hence will never hit the big time. Find something u like n stick to it at 33 it would brake my hart to start from scratch.

will take you 2-3 years of labouring before you become half decent and even think about putting a spanner in your hand

will take you 2-3 years of labouring before you become half decent and even think about putting a spanner in your hand

100% agree.
Dont run before you can walk.

A Scaffolder is only as good as his labourer.
Get good at supplying the gear, then you'll appreciate it more when your the one waiting.

And DONT EVER ever EVER take videos of your work.
Only pricks do that...

Appenrently. :D

Hi,

ps, don't feel i'm insulting your profession, I realise i'd have A LOT to learn, courses to do and stick to take.

Thanks for anyone's input.

takes me back mr bruce i used to work in a warehouse for the late rumbelows electrical company i got out decades ago and started scaffolding the money was good but is poor now but it will bring you more than a warehouse do yourself a favour get out that warehouse your 33 now time to move on unless you can get in management not sure about the scaffolding career thou its poor these days unless you wana bang in the hours get yourself a plumbing or electric course mate atleast you can work when you get olde lol!

As much as i love this game, working in all weathers on crap sites. Getting home every night aching and moaning cos your body is fooked is now taking its revenge on me...and im 33. Unless your glutten for punishment mate i would stay inside...

As much as i love this game, working in all weathers on crap sites. Getting home every night aching and moaning cos your body is fooked is now taking its revenge on me...and im 33. Unless your glutten for punishment mate i would stay inside...

wait untill you get late 40s scaffy if your acking at 33 :laugh:

Welcome to the forum, my advise is stop where you are until next spring, the winter will be here shortly and thats enough to put anyone off of wanting to work outside

Do it.. I was a senior Retail Manager in Covent Garden I was responsible for Multi Million Pound turnovers. I got bored with the long hours and started labouring 7/8 years later I have my Part 2 work for one of the better firms and earn much more and work less hours...

Just a side note, i have a lot of scaffs, labourers, trainees and drivers ring me for work and to be honest i have a long list of numbers ive written down. An idea would be ring a company and say your interested in a scaffolding career and say you'd like to try it for a week for free. (not ideal if your in another job) but a good employer would let you work that week and would probably pay you. You give it your all and if you are a grafter and get on good it puts you at the top of the list, makes you stand out so to speak. Maybe even a couple of weekends. Just prepare for sore arms sore shoulders sore neck sunburn and allow yourself plenty of recovery time, dont expect to be going home full of energy

Top Bottom