Can you use private investigators to spy on your employees

andyf8686

Reaction score
Can you use private investigators to spy on your employees?

With phone hacking in the news, we look at cases involving employers carrying out covert investigations on their own employees. In limited circumstances, employers can use private investigators to ensure that their employees are not committing serious, unlawful acts against them – but there are numerous pitfalls.

The cases

Barrett (B) v London Underground (LU) – B was dismissed after being caught playing squash on camera (following surveillance) whilst being on sick leave due to an ankle injury. LU failed to obtain B’s comments on the evidence before dismissing him. He was judged to be unfairly dismissed as his GP had advised him to exercise to speed up his recovery.

Pacey (P) v Caterpillar Logistics Services UK (CLS) – P was dismissed after having been filmed doing various activities such as carrying shopping and de-iceing his car whist on sick leave with a back injury. He was shown the footage and stated that his GP has advised him to take light exercise and ‘do as much as possible’. CLS wrote to P’s GP, providing a written summary of the footage, to check whether his advice was consistent with P’s explanation. The GP stated that it was consistent but CLS still dismissed P and lost when P claimed unfair dismissal. The tribunal particularly criticised CLS for failing to give the GP the actual video footage.

What this means for you

The Human Rights Act gives all individuals the right to respect for their private and family life. However, so long as it is both ‘proportionate and legitimate’ to do so, an employer is entitled to make use of covert surveillance. The definition of ‘proportionate and legitimate’ will always change with each case, but generally the following should be considered:
•The employee should be suspected of a serious contractual breach, such as fraudulently claiming payments (e.g. remuneration, expenses, sick pay) or endangering public health or safety (e.g. drinking alcohol whilst on duty)
•Your suspicions must be justified and be based on reasonable grounds – simple speculation or office gossip will not suffice
•Surveillance is a last resort – consider alternative methods such as workplace monitoring, obtaining statements from witnesses or looking at relevant documentation
•If surveillance is required, it should be strictly limited to what is needed to achieve your aims. Evidence from surveillance in a public place is preferable.
•If the surveillance appears to confirm your suspicions then you must follow a fair disciplinary procedure before making any decisions and give your employee an opportunity to comment on the evidence. If the issue relates to health, then medical evidence should be obtained from an expert or the employee’s GP, having providing them with all the evidence that you collated.:eek:

Not that im saying that taking the piss at work is right.
It most definitely is NOT.

But, how much do you wanna bet that the people that brought this 'so-called' piss take to light are the biggest piss takers of them all?

Id like to bet alot, tbh.

The amount of hypocrisy with these types of things is amazing...
One rule for one, another for everyone else.

you must be able to use them as my old workplace had me and my business partner followed and he went to a funeral. They waited outside and followed him to the wake, he got out of his car and challenged him and he drove off.

Unbelievable...

I dont know how these scum-bags sleep at night.
They wanna go and work for a living, like most of us do. :mad:

Wow that's nuts
Many years ago I worked with a lad ( and he was good scaffolder )
Every day he'd stop at spa or wherever and buy a can of super and crack it. I didn't like it but everyone knew including the gaffer

Wow that's nuts
Many years ago I worked with a lad ( and he was good scaffolder )
Every day he'd stop at spa or wherever and buy a can of super and crack it. I didn't like it but everyone knew including the gaffer

Too right.
Unwritten code of the Scaffolders: 'What happens at work, stays at work'.

Like that time i was caught dancing around dressed as a policeman, in a rubber uniform, in that gay bar.

No one knows about it and thats how its gonna stay! :cool:

I would of thought that you could covertly have your employees watched to confirm your suspicions, however using that as evidence is where it may conflict with their rights.

Mmm, a whole can of worms that just don't need opening.

Magnums not doing much these days,

his car stands out a bit though!

:blink1:

Do what most firms do, get a little weasel spy amongst the lads.

Top Bottom