can you get a 457 visa as a scaffolder

finn

Reaction score
Hi

Just wondering could anybody give me some advise. can you get a 457 visa as a scoffolder in Australia ?

Thanks

Ive heard one company can sponser you as a scaffolder legally on a 457.

But then you got the other option of getting sponserd as a false role and working as a scaffolder like most of the companys do there. which is all well and good untill you get caught

As far as I know, you can get sponsership from some companies here as long as their Accredited. Most will be looking for Supervisor / management roles, however Caledonian Scaffolding were sponsering scaffs for Adelaide.
There has been some talk on the news lately of a skilled shortage on projects over $2bn and a workforce of over 1500. Your best bet would go to an Immagration consultant and ask them for some info.
There is loads of work coming up in WA, where there will be a shortage.
There is also another route using the 857 visa, again speak to the consultant.
Good Luck.

Thanks ,

Also just wondering where is the cheapest and best place to do my training ?

There is going to be a lot if changes here on the 1st of July, regarding the whole visa process, you would be better waiting until then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

In South Australia yes. In the other states not at the moment as scaffolding isnt considered a trade. Bear in mind that although WA will have a skills shortage there are thousands on the East coast desperate to fill those positions. The Australian PM has recently said that foreigners will not take Australian jobs in the mining industry.

Thanks ,

Also just wondering where is the cheapest and best place to do my training ?

If you are a scaff here perth training center mate will cost you 1100 dollars and take you day to obtain there version of an advanced high risk licence.

If your not a scaff you can go from zero to hero in 9 days for about 2100 dollars i think mate.

Then if your working in construction in the city you can claim 70% of that back i think

Caledoniascaffolding.com.au

Only scaffold company in Australia with a labour agreement.
They have a Perth office now as well.

They are clamping down on the 'scaffold supervisor' visas.
Heap of lads got sent home not long ago.

just wondering where is the best place to do training in Adelaide?

Honestly bro, fly to melb/Perth its cheaper & quicker

CITB in Regency is the place most people go.

Basic is 5 days so is Advanced and if im not mistaken intermediate 3 days.
Not come across a intensive course where you can get all tickets straight out like other states, although i may stand corrected.
Just messaged a few mates to double check will post a reply when i recieve one.

What ticket are you going for?
If your from the UK holding a Part 2 + 4 years exp looking to get Australian tickets do the intensive course.

but if your just starting/no expierience, get some expiereience first or get your Basic to get a job but start at the bottom as a labourer as over here ive literally black listed so many guys from working with me because they are incompetent as ****, hold tickets for the cash.
Which basically means i have to babysit them on jobs and get **** all work done.

If you hold a scaffolding ticket from another country, you can gain the High Risk Licence for Advanced Scaffolding by going the "RPL " Route, which stands for Reconised Prior Learning, but make sure you have written references from previous employers with contact details.
The RPL assessment will take 1 - 2 days for advanced scaffolding, me and my mate done ours in 1 and half day at Australian Skills training in Spearwood WA. That was 4 years ago.
Good Luck...and hold your breath and count to ten with the assessor. LOL

RPL is kinda hard to come by in Adelaide although I do believe there is a place, just not sure on if it's just for my company or a general pop thing.
I got my tickets converted through Safework SA 2 years ago although that may have been dumb luck.
Shouldn't even need to be assesed really as Trainning etc is higher in uk, although rules here are kinda different so worth listening, laughing and just smiling to get your ticket

If you are a scaff here perth training center mate will cost you 1100 dollars and take you day to obtain there version of an advanced high risk licence.

If your not a scaff you can go from zero to hero in 9 days for about 2100 dollars i think mate.

Then if your working in construction in the city you can claim 70% of that back i think
thats true perth has courses for zero to advanced in 14 days $2100 and 70% refund from goverment if your in construction all ready

What the Australian government fail to realise, is that Giving people tickets like candy to bolster numbers is just wrong.
I'm on a major government job at the minute and the ratio here is 1 advanced to 4 basic.
Out of those basics 1/2 are actually basics, the rest are labourers.
These kids are there for the cash, putting everyone at risk because of a simple number game quota system.
Australia's zero to hero system is seriously flawed, especially as there is no continuity to Trainning centers or teachers accross Australia.
I witnessed first hand intermediates being taught to base out t&f by a seasoned instructor by working in a group of 4, two hold the standards whilst a ledger is run in at 1m temps are placed on ledger to stabilise.
Aberdeen is then installed and so on.
My problem is what happens when they are working on there own dismantling a free standing structure without a kicker....?
I'll try dig up the photos from the course, safe to say I waded in and showed these lads the proper safer method and the two points of contact principal.
They actually got told off by the instructor doinging it that way.

What the Australian government fail to realise, is that Giving people tickets like candy to bolster numbers is just wrong.
I'm on a major government job at the minute and the ratio here is 1 advanced to 4 basic.
Out of those basics 1/2 are actually basics, the rest are labourers.
These kids are there for the cash, putting everyone at risk because of a simple number game quota system.
Australia's zero to hero system is seriously flawed, especially as there is no continuity to Trainning centers or teachers accross Australia.
I witnessed first hand intermediates being taught to base out t&f by a seasoned instructor by working in a group of 4, two hold the standards whilst a ledger is run in at 1m temps are placed on ledger to stabilise.
Aberdeen is then installed and so on.
My problem is what happens when they are working on there own dismantling a free standing structure without a kicker....?
I'll try dig up the photos from the course, safe to say I waded in and showed these lads the proper safer method and the two points of contact principal.
They actually got told off by the instructor doinging it that way.

Exactly what happened in the UK when they expanded from just Erith and Bircham and let companies like NETA and UTN just give tickets away!!

Top Bottom