Builders that alter your scaffolding

StoneScaffoldingLtd

Reaction score
I saw this by chance as I was passing a new build I have up. It's just off the duel carriageway as I was heading for another town.

Back tracked and went on site. He knew we had already done the 7 day inspection and thought he'd got away with it. Had shock of his life when we took the scaff tag out and condemned the scaffold.

He had taken boards off the table lifts and tube from braces and handrails.

To avoid confusion, we never put this chimney scaffold up, he did!!

How do you guys deal with this problem?

Image2457_zpsc98b19c9.jpg

Last edited:
This is how he put it up John. 2 boards wide and used tube from the existing scaffold. Old school builder that thinks it's ok today to still play scaffolders.
Third job I've been to this week where the contractor has altered stuff himself. Roofers took braces off a table lift on another job and a roofer took boards and tube from around a chimney to replace tiles on another!

bit of branching out going on there who measured that job or is the yard short of boards lol!!! wouldnt worry about the toe boards missing would be more concerned about the handrail missing

dico the builder did this himself robbing stuff off the existing scaffold, we never did the chimney scaffold at all :mad:

dico the builder did this himself robbing stuff off the existing scaffold, we never did the chimney scaffold at all :mad:

shocking stone scaffolding surley the contractor should be thrown off i would be on the phone mate hope you get it sorted
mate

had one last week doing some pointing, and needed to go over a extra metre so took the stop end hand rail off swapped a set of 10ft board for a set of 13ft then but one end of the 13ft boards under the transom so he could go out a extra 3ft and put a screw each side of the transom to stop the board moveing could not believe it

Builders altering scaffolds

HA!!!!! Bloody hell if anyone thinks this scaffold looks rough you should come to Blackburn this is the standard most of the tranny van lads aspire to !!
The standard of work these untrained ! unskilled ! unqualified ! so called scaffolders are erecting is pathetic and the HSE wont spend the time to come and sort it even though weve offered to pay for the time they spend in Blackburn to help get rid of the cowboys

This is one of the things I have delt with throughout my working career. Where you have a strong feeling that your scaffold is being interfered with send a letter (recorded delivery) to the director of the firm your contract is with informing this is happening and that the scaffold will no longer be covered by your EL/PL insurance. Any remedial works to bring the scaffold back to compliance will also be claimed. you may also wish to add that further interferance may have to be reported to the HSE

We used to get a lot of it with smaller builders so much so that one firm i refused to take any more work from , i always sent an email to the companys telling them that if anything goes wrong it is totally down to them and print of a copy and file it.
We had a job so badly pulled apart once that i refused to strike it until we had made it safe , which cost him 2 lads for a full day.

Top Bottom