BS5973 Withdrawn TG20:08 for 2011

Stomper

Reaction score
Just did my TG20 course its not that different...From the normal..just Rackers every other standard with the sway between them catching 3 standards..But loads more Ties...Can see alot of problems meeting this standard when trying to build these scaffolds .. so many Buildings have been built with unopenable windows in them and high floors..Plus was told you can't go over 3 lifts without ties even with a buttress in it seems daft to me as been from a transmission background buttress scaffold work well...Unless I was given the wrong answer when I asked the question.

http://v35.up1.universalpixel.com/ams/assets/NASC532147/Tg20 full explanation.pdf

Anyone working to this Reg already..Suppose we all should by now by law

Just did my TG20 course its not that different...From the normal..just Rackers every other standard with the sway between them catching 3 standards..But loads more Ties...Can see alot of problems meeting this standard when trying to build these scaffolds .. so many Buildings have been built with unopenable windows in them and high floors..Plus was told you can't go over 3 lifts without ties even with a buttress in it seems daft to me as been from a transmission background buttress scaffold work well...Unless I was given the wrong answer when I asked the question.

http://v35.up1.universalpixel.com/ams/assets/NASC532147/Tg20 full explanation.pdf

Anyone working to this Reg already..Suppose we all should by now by law

The majority of glass or modern cladded buildings with windows that don't open are harldy going to cause many problems for scaffolding purposes.

If such a building was being scaffolded, It would most probably be for demolition, in which case it wouldn't really matter - as you'd either expose the window openings or the super structure and tie into either of those.

If a scaffold was to go up against such a building for remedial or cosmetic purposes, then there are all manner of ties that can be fixed into mastic joints and such like.

Either way, TG20 is a bit misleading to some people, because they assume that you can't do this and you can't do that - period. But it's not really a scaffolders problem, becauce an engineer can design a scaffold pretty much how they like, as long as he (or she) works within the permissable safety factors. Like SG4:10, it's only a guidance document - Not a legal requirement.

All scaffolders need to know is what they can build without design advice if they want to conform to TG20:08, ie - not much!

As Phil says, we only need to know what needs a design, some examples from the HSE.

Scaffold structures that need to be designed:

1.Dead Shores
2.Flying Shores
3.Raking Shores
4.Cantilevered scaffolds
5.Facade retention
6.Access scaffolds with multiple working lifts
7.Buttressed free standing scaffolds
8.Temporary roofs and temporary buildings
9.Support scaffolds
10.Loading gantries
11.Mobile and static towers outwith base/height limitations
12.Free standing scaffolds outwith base/height limitations
13.Heavy duty ramps
14.Public access stands, staircases and fire escapes
15.Bridge scaffolds
16.Pavement gantries

1.Towers requiring guys or ground anchors
2.Offshore scaffolds outwith OCA handbook
3.Pedestrian footbridges or walkways
4.Suspended scaffolds
5.Heavy duty fans
6.Marine scaffolds
7. Boiler scaffolds
8.Power line crossings
9.Lifting gantries and towers
10.Steeple scaffolds
11.System scaffolds outwith users guide parameters
12.Sign board supports
13.Sealing end structures
14.Advertising hoardings/banners
15.Any scaffold structure subject to
16.Vibration
17.High loading
18.Long term duration
19.High risk areas
20.Loading from passenger/goods hoist

Thanx for putting me straight...Like you say its not my worry i just go back to the gaffer and say you need a drawing for that mate..cant get enough ties in it... and its over 3 lifts..Cant put a buttress on it either..

P45

Last edited:
If you're worried about p1ssing him off and losing your job then erect it to his spec and make sure that HE signs the schedule 7 report.

The legal onus is then on him.

Top Bottom