Blue Book Question?

joebag

Reaction score
If a Major Company Employs Blokes at a Distance which entitles the Blokes to Lodge aswell as Travel,if that company refuses to pay lodge or travel or both,what Legally if any recourse do the blokes have to claim their entitlements and what experiences do blokes have if this has happened to them.

ie.have they been black balled by that company and either been finished up or just not asked back again.

This is a line of work that along with the offshore stuff i would like to get into and i can see blokes having a tough time of it trying to get what seems rightfully theres

In the States its just standard to have a room in a motel and they give you a datacard(debitcard)which contains a purdeum which was anything from 35 to 70 dollars per day for food,drinks etc

I was travelling 90 miles a day to Chevron Pembroke, Hertel refused to pay lodge to anyone in my Postcode area as they had caught a few boys from Swansea (25 miles closer to the job than me) travelling daily.
Gave me the option of signing a waiver for the lodge or take 2hrs notice. I wasn't a member of the Union as I cancelled my membership over the ECITB Tom Hardacre business.
So I took the 2hrs.

Can't see many firms on a blue book site not adhering to it as the unions would be on them in a flash. In my limited experience any dispute is settled by the threat of mass walkout. Obviously there is ways and means of reducing the lodge payment by only offering work to local labour and it can take a bit longer than usual for lodge payments to kick in especially if they can get travelling men to do it with no additional payment.

When they phoned they offered maximum travel and told me no one was getting lodge, when I did the induction they handed out lodge forms to the boys from England.
They also told me 6 X 10hrs when it was 9 X 8.5hr shifts per 2 weeks with a rota for the 2nd Friday and weekends which would come up around every 6 weeks.

The worst bit was I jacked from a good number in London to go there.

Last edited:
does seem to me like this forum could help with this,maybe names of managers handing out these contracts in the way they do put on here in a new section mainly for that, might do the trick,if its advertised on paper,then given differently on another piece of paper,along with a google map image of distance travelled cant really say anything against that,and if they do bad names following them wherever they go,might seem a bit naive and simplistic way of doing something about this but the one thing managers hate is being named,along with proof of their wrongdoings:unsure:

I was travelling 90 miles a day to Chevron Pembroke, Hertel refused to pay lodge to anyone in my Postcode area as they had caught a few boys from Swansea (25 miles closer to the job than me) travelling daily.
Gave me the option of signing a waiver for the lodge or take 2hrs notice. I wasn't a member of the Union as I cancelled my membership over the ECITB Tom Hardacre business.
So I took the 2hrs.

from what ive seen over the years swifty if they have a lot of labour to pick from there paye you what they want. the olde lodge only seems to be payed these days if there short of men then they will paye it thats my opinion anyway from what ive seen over the passed years.i also no men that have moved down south and become locals as lodge isnt payed as much these days

Does anyone know the legalities of this blue book or is it more a recomendation rather than a statute?

It all goes pear shaped when the Unions have their fingers in other pies.

i know a place that changed from interserve to cape and the guys found out they should have had travel time and somethin else i dont remember but interserve had not gave them it

if you were to work on a blue book site and then move away how would that affect your right for travel and diggs?

whats the job, who's the firm, and what does the shop steward on the job say or are these men not in the union and thats why your asking on here.. Its either lodge or maximum travel, you don't get both. How far away from a job your are to get lodge is a bit of a grey area these days as the blook states only if it is unreasonable to travel daily will you be eligable for lodge.

in a way i suppose it is, the blue book is a national agreement between the unions and the major players in the engineering and constuction industry, so once a company has agreed to the terms and conditions of this agreement then they must abide by them. however if the said men aren't in the union who is going to fight for their rights.

Top Bottom