Blocking lift

S

southernpoofter

heres a quick question to the forum in your opinion when does a blocking lift stop being a blocking lift ?

let me explain- a current client who we do a lot a work for is expecting me to put what he calls a blocking lift around a large garage due to the ground being at various heights prior to the slab being placed, 47m in diameter at the lowest point 400mm heightest 1.2m - now we dont hold putlocg adapters
and due to the height this then requires all the work as a normal base out including would u believe double handrail and brickguards- but although discussed with the QS he's adament he's not paying it as a full lift, looks like i got to let it slide this time due to the size of the contract, but was wondering what you guys think defines a blocking lift, and what would your rate for a blocking lift be.

Every lift at full price.:cool:

I take it the QS know's what you charge per meter?

Same amount of gear as a base out
So i'd charge a full lift
But the second lift would be cheaper
So i would say swings & roundabouts and charge a lesser amount for the blocker, maybe up to 50% but be careful if you are going to set a precedent

oh yes ofcouse he does alister, and going for 50% of the normal linear meterage rate lolo although its onto a loser its only a small part of a much bigger contract the house itself is 36k ftsq which we've already started so i'll be able to pull the loss back later ......but was really after at what height people decide its no longer a blocking lift

Full price,tell him it should be more,due to it being at ground level and you need to lock all the inside standards in to stop people pushing them out of place:idea:

The good thing is you will get it back but to be honest I never tell them my rates and charge everything on an individual basis. I have been asked many times for a square meter rate but I don't want anyone telling me what I am charging for any specific job, as we all know it can vary from client to client let alone job to job.

difficult thing really discussing rates with a QS due to them putting the rate against a competitor then comeing back and getting you to knock the price down on singular items because someone else is going to do that bit a little cheeper - but unfortunatley sometimes you have to be transparent with them, they do like to have there cake and eat it sometimes lol or at least think they are

When the lift is 1.5m high it,s a comfortable height,when it's below knee height it's far from comfortable,it never ceases to amaze me how these site agents think they know more about our game than we do,that's on the same line's as that old nugget,how much,what,for that little stack!!..........never mind that it sits on top of a feckin huge awkward building lol

so u reckon itsa little too high to be concidered a blocking lift then big fish lolo

The good thing is you will get it back but to be honest I never tell them my rates and charge everything on an individual basis. I have been asked many times for a square meter rate but I don't want anyone telling me what I am charging for any specific job, as we all know it can vary from client to client let alone job to job.

Quote a high metre run rate then every priced job looks like you have given a discount :D

Ragscaff

a blocking lift used to be pallets placed around the plot and boarded out and hoddy used to have to strike it !!!!

now its as much as a lift ( last job wouldnt allow putlog adaptors ) but traditionally its a lot cheaper and the qs expects this to be the case

in the practicle side of it we just done a blocking lift the brickies built off it and when first lift based out it still went half way up a door way so no height gained plus ground was just flat

when agent wanted the doorways cut out for screeder they wouldnt pay as they said the lift should have been at 2m a right pain
:(((

We always get this problem, you put the lift in at 1.5m for the ***** (brickies). Then the other trades come along and the lift is smack in the middle of the doors and windows and is no good to them. Charge them the going rate for a base lift.

Yas need to tufen up we dont base nothign out till u crnt see over it block or brick if ya can see over it gets another block ro brick on it lol that seems to be the rule for our spot but i think its a case of thats the price we dnt touch it till its x amounth of blocks or bricks hight and then 1.5 meter lifts for face brick and again if ya can see over the block you need another 1 on lol and then it goes half block down or 3 bricks lol

The best ones are them that get the build up to chamber using trestle's or pallet's before calling you in lol'thinking their saving money by struggling............kerching,same price pal,we're not eight foot tall;)

Usually price kicker lifts at 75% of normal independent, on the basis that it will be stripped out and re-erected into the first normal working lift, so no hire costs, just labour.

Blocker shouldnt need to have toeboards and brick gaurds aslong as it is not above head height should it?

All change now Gaz. A fall from height can be any height.

The best ones are them that get the build up to chamber using trestle's or pallet's before calling you in lol'thinking their saving money by struggling............kerching,same price pal,we're not eight foot tall;)

YOU MEAN TO SAY THAT YOU DONT HAVE POP CREATS ANY MORE ( PSSSWSSSS beats the scaff step :laugh:

A blocking lift would be installed in conjunction with a base lift, thats to say, a lift would need to be in place and a blocking lift included to account for the different ground levels. If you have installed a single lift scaffold, it is a base lift and shall invoiced as such. The QS fully understands that to be the case.

Top Bottom