Blamed again

Dandaps

Reaction score
Just got an email from a good customer about an insurance job we provided scaffold on, single storey garage that the guys Mrs pranged her new mini into and knocked all the wall out, anyways we put scaffold up around the detached garage even helped them move a sh1t load of gear out of garage, last week we stripped the job now the lady at the house is saying the lads have ripped the cover on her outside jucuzzi :mad: I phoned the fellas who have taken it down and they are adamant they did not drop or damage it but said it was full of mortar etc and they are good lads and I belive them, now I pissed off because it's all too easy to blame scaffs it, it was over a week ago now since jobs been struck, how does she know its not the roofers or brickies.:mad: :mad:

She dont mate but we always get the blame no matter what , " oh it MUST have been the scaffolders " heard it to many times mate :mad:

Did one few months ago said that all flashing was pulled out by scaffold, Bullsh!t I even had photos to prove that it was like that before we did the job, they really fook me off, I don't mind paying for repairs when I know we did the damage, but these people aren't short of a few quid, probs want a new hot tub cover because it got dirty whilst work was being carried out, "ah" put a rip in it blame scaffs, makes us look bad to my client
when we tryand defend ourselves by saying it wasn't us. Just looked on ebay there £300 these covers

Danaps we had a very similar situation a few years back , and i ended up writing into all our quotes
" All garden furniture or objects of value MUST be decated before scaffolding commences as we will not be held responsible for any accidental damage that may occur "

I always tell my lads to be honest with me , because if they make me look a cu nt when i defend them then all hell will brake loose.
Iam happy to pay for the odd broken window or bit of gutter because sh it happens sometimes and to their credit they always tell me straight away , then i can sort it out with the customer without loosing face.

As I was told when I started:

'First on site and last to leave. We always get the sh!t'

Still Dandaps it could be worse. The lads could have trampled the garden :laugh:

I hAd a problem about 5 years ago ,we put a saff up between 2 houses the lady next door said we knocked the corner of her gutter of which was already hanging of as the facia was rotten .the she said the water filled the cavity walls the house stunk of damp inside ,the out side render looked damp ,she tried to claim 60k I sh it my self .the first thing I did was take a few pics which I gave to the loss adjuster which he blew up as big as he could.in the pics you could see calcium on the back windows of the house now where near the scaffold ,above the windows was a dodgy loft conversion where we think the water was coming from ,my insurance co nearly paid her 20k to shut her up this went on for 3 years in the end my insurance threatened her with costs and charges they took her to court so she could not re claim,what a nite mare,so now if I see any damage when istart I allways inform customer and take pics ,there's allways some one trying to con us scaffs be careful

People will always try it on. I always take pictures before and after have been for a couple of years since some woman who parked her ****** up old Honda right near where a load of gear was stacked and surprise surprise as if by magic when we returned in the morning a 6ft board had mysteriously climbed off the floor and rested against her car and she had pictures of it. We got a right bollocking off the guvnor. Not cause the gear was stacked unsafe which none of it was but as we did not take a pic of the car and the stacked gear before we left.

we had it a couple of years ago, got court right out did a job over a flat roof which was knackerd,and the builder told us this was being taken down so we could put standards through the roof, did this then when we put bill in they will not pay saying we damaged the roof, never again with out anything in writeing or pictures. a mate of mine did a job a few years back and got a call from a no win no fee company saying someone had banged there head on the 1st lift of the scaff, when he point out is was 8ft high he never heard anymore about it.makes me sick no wonder insurance keep going up every year.

Just got an email from a good customer about an insurance job we provided scaffold on, single storey garage that the guys Mrs pranged her new mini into and knocked all the wall out, anyways we put scaffold up around the detached garage even helped them move a sh1t load of gear out of garage, last week we stripped the job now the lady at the house is saying the lads have ripped the cover on her outside jucuzzi :mad: I phoned the fellas who have taken it down and they are adamant they did not drop or damage it but said it was full of mortar etc and they are good lads and I belive them, now I pissed off because it's all too easy to blame scaffs it, it was over a week ago now since jobs been struck, how does she know its not the roofers or brickies.:mad: :mad:

Tell them it was snow damage.
We always get the blame. Its our fault projects are delayed, our fault if the scaffolding budget gets tripled.

Scaffolding companies seem to have the reputation of being a good bet for a claim possibly due to the conception that it is a 'dangerous' trade. We do occaisionally break things, but a lot of the time its a contrived event backed up by accident chasing solicitors. We all have cameras on our mobiles, mine records date, time and global position the photo was taken. As mentioned before a couple of quick photos before leaving site can change the outcome of any claim. Well worth doing.

All too true boys and we are no different. I have a couple on the go at the moment and one in particular looks like court but I have a wee beauty up my sleeve if it does so I will say no more about that one for now.

A couple of years back I got a call a day after we erected a job with my client going daft accusing us of breaking a load of brand new double glazed windows. I went out to see the boys and to be honest I really should have known better but it ended up in an argument despite the fact I was on the job from start to finish. I drove to the site still smarting over the boys refusal to take responsibility for their actions and met my client who by this time had discovered all the double glazed units had broken on the inside only as they were badly fitted by the joiners. To be honest, we get it all the time, I have always reckoned it's because we are last to leave and the damage does not become apparent until the scaffold is down, but like Phil said, for garden furniture we have the old move it or loose it clause.;)

We got one at the minute going through,women said we dropped a wire brush and a roof joist on her head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Two weeks prior said we dropped two "brackets" and just missed her!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom