Black Steel

i dont think its been outlawed. seen the odd tube of it about. i just think its not widely used because of how quick it deteriorates?

ah ok, so thats why you paint it? so the silver colour of most scaffold is due to galvanising? understood!

still see quite abit about know ov 3 firms at least who use it all the time looks rough and u go home lookin like u been trapped under a sunbed for too long... not that i av sunbeds... i aint work wiv it for years!!

its not outlawed as far as i know and can still be bought readily from most surpliers, the non galvinization of the tube is only for asthetics and to stop the steel from rusting, the actual differerance of load properties betwen black and galvi tube are very slight but the price is only pennies apart, so its much better in the long run to get galvi - but black has its uses for handrails and treepro, a SSO should only condem it when used in a load bearing scaffold if its heavily pitted due to rust or badly flaky , but just paint it and use for tree protection

Technically you should not mix black and galv, same as alu. Though you can build upon galv with either black or alu in the next lifts to keep it lightweight.

I still see old rusty tubes everywhere.....

It was all EPL used years ago and the fittings where service with thick grease , went most days covered in rust and grease :sad:

Tried to buy some new black tube around a year ago
but could not find anyone that stocked it
Manufacturers are not making it anymore as no demand, everyone wanted galv

I remember the EPL rusty tube with red paint on it thats what i started off with back in 94

you can still use black steel,even mixed in with galv but once you have one black steel tube mixed in with galv the scaffold inspector then has to reduce the load barring of scaffold by 25% according to tg20.

Top Bottom