Big thanks to the forum

manly7385

Reaction score
Just like to thank all you lads and all the posts that I have read over the years that has helped me take the step to open up my labour only company in glasgow.
It's small just now and I am working like a dog myself to get it up and running but I'm sure it will be worth it.
The plan is to get the first year out the way and earn some money and then help most of the lads that are out there chasing jobs from agency which is the main reason for what I have did.
But big thanks again lads keep you all posted on how I go:)

It's completely feasable that we could end up with labour only outfits doing the majority of the work out there,it's such a ballache for firms employing people on a paye basis that it makes sense to just sub the work out using the firms gear,the guy's erecting the job are happy as long as their getting the agreed price and the firm has'nt got all the employment grief and are still getting their cut plus hire and extra's,everyone's happy,almost sounds too good to be true,but good luck and well done manly:cool:

well done , hope you do well and take work away from some of the ****** agencys that are out there.

Well done, good time to go for it, and agree 100% with St. Leger

Brilliant news! Good luck with it all - stay positive.

Good luck Manly, I have often thought that was a better route to go down rather than the full contracting thing but I was way too far down the road before I looked up to see what was happening so I for one would be keen to hear how you go.

It's completely feasable that we could end up with labour only outfits doing the majority of the work out there,it's such a ballache for firms employing people on a paye basis that it makes sense to just sub the work out using the firms gear,the guy's erecting the job are happy as long as their getting the agreed price and the firm has'nt got all the employment grief and are still getting their cut plus hire and extra's,everyone's happy,almost sounds too good to be true,but good luck and well done manly:cool:

Totally agree BF but too late to turn back now.:(

Good luck Manly, I have often thought that was a better route to go down rather than the full contracting thing but I was way too far down the road before I looked up to see what was happening so I for one would be keen to hear how you go.

Totally agree BF but too late to turn back now.:(

Is it though,we already own the gear,trucks,yard,and we get the invitations to tender for the jobs,once we know how much to factor in for the labour element then it should be plain sailing,in theory,the problem i can see is you'll then be at the mercy of your subby scaff's and whether or not their a proffessional outfit,if their as good as gold then the job's a good un,if not,then the job could become a complete nightmare,and you've no control over the scaff's to resolve the situation,the key must lie with finding good reliable subby's:wondering:

Very true. I was thinking of a particular client who complained to me for a long time that the way I had set up left little room for me to provide a labour only service which he so dearly wanted as he had invested fairly heavily in system but had the very same problem as you have identified, unreliable subby. He wanted me to take over all his scaffold requirements using his material but I just could not see it working or being worthwhile when I had so many commitments using my own material. I don't suppose it's much different round here from anywhere else but it's the hire charges that most resent but if you don't put some sort of charge on it the job can drag on for months extra.

Well do that man,
There would be a demand for a good Labour only company as if your really busy you wont go through the hassle of employing lads for say 2 weeks you will just struggle on or use an agency .
But BF and AOM have hit the nail on the head , the problems arise when you get useless subbies who end up loosing you customers because the works not getting done on time , or there fu cking about on site , bad standard of work etc etc .
In London in the 80s and 90s there where some very good subbies who had good lads and done a good standard of work, then more and more lads went labour only who wernt capable of doing it , this ended up with most big companys not wanting to use labour only gangs as it was to much hassle and hard work for them.
I would have no problems with using a good labour company on a job by job basis

Mm, I always get back to the same point no matter how I think about it, invest and train your own men. This might be a problem unique to me but how would the very small jobs work when you still need men to throw up a tower, would a subby still come out for that?

Alistair, If A Labour Only Subbie Is Getting A Lot Of Work From You And The Price Is Right (Lets Not Forget A Lot Of Subbies Think They Will Be Like Richard Branson Overnight) Just Isnt Going To Happen Chaps, They Should Accept Any Job From You. As A Labour Only Subbie You Are Working For A Wage Just The Same As Anyone Else.

I made a couple of poor attempts just to try and keep existing clients of my back but it was a nightmare. At least when you have the correct amount of gear ratio to scaffolders you retain some control over the flow of work, although even that is no guarantee.

Mm, I always get back to the same point no matter how I think about it, invest and train your own men. This might be a problem unique to me but how would the very small jobs work when you still need men to throw up a tower, would a subby still come out for that?

Once you'd found your reliable subby you'd still need to retain at least one gang for your small works and a couple of hgv scaffs to cope with deliveries and then you'd have your little core crew to be able to handle most eventualities,in theory lol.

Another problem you may encounter is loyalty. There's nothing worse than than labour only boys packing their bags & fooking off halfway through a job because joe blogs is offering 50p a meter more. You need to put fail safes such as retentions etc to accommodate this. It's not a very popular way to go but you need to protect your business & customers against this.
Good luck, I hope it works out. :bigsmile:

Just like to thank all you lads and all the posts that I have read over the years that has helped me take the step to open up my labour only company in glasgow.
It's small just now and I am working like a dog myself to get it up and running but I'm sure it will be worth it.
The plan is to get the first year out the way and earn some money and then help most of the lads that are out there chasing jobs from agency which is the main reason for what I have did.
But big thanks again lads keep you all posted on how I go:)

Good luck manly.

Top Bottom