Benchmark Laying off as of tomorrow

Everyone put on a weeks notice on the Olympic Village as of tomorrow. Only a skeleton squad left at the end of next week.

Bad times.

Prestige contract that they had won, but it f**cked them over, sold 51% of the firm, never have all your eggs in one basket, always remember your bread and butter jobs, there the ones that pay your bills.

Better it happen now, then 3 weeks before Christmas...
Then guys would be in proper shiit-street.

Yeah I know, i have about a month left on nights but thought it better to get out now before 40, 50, 60 or whatever go next week and fill all remaining jobs up around the city. Last night is Monday. Going back to my spiritual home in Bow when I get back from Greece next week.

Has anyone noticed that Benchmark are currently advertising for office staff (estimator) in the 'Construction News'? Can't be all bad then!

True, but with the people and history the company already has - Rob West, G Pope and others I would have thought they already have the good contacts in the area. This may not be about people but an indication of the big decline in building works in the country.

What fukked Benchmark up was 1 or 2 bad apples in their office taking the piss and them as a company, taking on too much work.

I heard a rumour that a few of their senior office staff was nicking money off the firm to pay for their coke habits. Though i doubt that, as Scaffolding Supervisors being on the chiv never happens, does it? ;)

Jason, in the 40 odd years I have worked in scaffolding the same (true) story bubbles up. The spectre of corruption has always been a dogma of scaffold management in companies of all sizes. I don't know if this is the case with Benchmark, sad if it is so, as they had a lot of good things going - training etc.

True, but with the people and history the company already has - Rob West, G Pope and others I would have thought they already have the good contacts in the area. This may not be about people but an indication of the big decline in building works in the country.

Anyone know if this is the same Rob West who comes from Glasgow and worked for Stephens and Carter

Don't remember him from S&C (1970-85) but first knew of him late 80's in SGB Wembley depot.

The Rob West i new was from Glasgow and a senior hire and sales manager for S & C based in London, one of his great mates was another top flier with S & C named John O`Hara

Did John O'Hara leave S&C and go to Canada back in the late 80's? - I still can throw no more light on RW prior to SGB Wembley.

Did John O'Hara leave S&C and go to Canada back in the late 80's? - I still can throw no more light on RW prior to SGB Wembley.

Yes he left S & C in Glasgow after being pulled over for drinking and driving and went to Canada, the last time i spoke to him he was the top dog at a large Canadian scaffolding company

Anyone know if this is the same Rob West who comes from Glasgow and worked for Stephens and Carter

No this Rob West came from Mitcham in Surrey, worked for SGB became manager of Brighton and moved on from there.
Very nice guy.
regards Alan

---------- Post added at 03:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 AM ----------

I think you may be right Binthere,
Rob West, Graham Pope, very knowledgeable people with a lot of time in. They also have some serious techinical backup with Bob Young and Alan Aberhams who both have tremendous pulling power with the client base. Between these 4 alone they have over 150 years in the game.

There may of course be weak links as there are in most firms but I wish Benchmark the best and would like to see them come out the otherside.

I feel the industry is where the issues are at the moment not the people.
regards
Alan

Top Bottom