Becoming a scaffolder

Alex92

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm 19, in Cambridgeshire, and looking to get into scaffolding. I've worked on Tall Ships so am fine with the hights and I spent a few months a year ago working on a local site as a general labourer.

I was in the TA and was due to join the regs, but I've screwed my knees playing rugby and although I can work it is obviously a bit different doing a 20 mile march in afghanistan! I am currently waiting to see if I have a 3 year or permenant bar to joining up.

Either way I want to get into scaffolding because even if I manage to get into the regulars, I will need a job when I leave and having previous experience will be good.

I've done some internet searches and everything seems to say I need to get on an apprenticeship scheme. However the only place recruiting apprentices I can find is in Manchester and I doubt I can move over there and get a flat on NMW.

Does anyone have any advice for me about how I can get the ball rolling?

Hi Alex,welcome to the scaffs forum,plenty of lads on here to point the way.Bit quiet tonite,so be patient. May come in a trickle or a flood. Good luck mate.

You usually find there are no short cuts Alex. Scaffolding is no different than any other trade, money is normally poor during the training time but you soon make it up when your qualified.

Try talking to smaller firms who may appreciate a hard grafter a bit more than the bigger firms and may pay you accordingly and still arrange the suitable training course for you.

Depending on whither you are successful getting in to the regulars, you may be better preparing for life on civy street after you have been away and done your time with them and they will be more than willing to give you plenty help both financially and practical.

Either way, good luck with the search.

He said he wants to be a scaff, not get a new hole torn.:eek:

Holes and scars are character building , have you got a CSCS card yet ?
and can you tie a half hitch and a timber hitch , dont worry about heights as you will be on a rope and wheel for a good while :)

Hello mate.

Theres some good blokes on here (unfortunately most are northerners, so dont listen too much to their advice about putting Scaffolding up, as most cant erect a 'self erecting tent'). :laugh:

Have you ever actually tried Scaffolding, or held a tube/board?
Reason im asking, is that lots and lots of people 'try' Scaffolding, only to find that the job isnt what they thought it was.

It dont make you a w@anker, if your not able to do it.
Most of us Scaffolders are nutters - Thats why we started it in the first place, lol.

Anyway...

It might be best to get yourself a CSCS Card (click this link their website), then your options open significantly and your able to work on most building sites.

Eventually you'll need a CISRS, but that'll come much later.

Id recommend ringing about various Scaffolding firms in your local area asking for a job either on-site or in the yard.
Yard work aint great, but it'll give you quick first hand experience on what fittings are what, what they do and how to handle tubes/boards.

Learning a few knots will also help and give you an immediate advantage, for when you pull up Scaffolding on a rope and wheel.

Knots to know:
  • Clove Hitch (more commonly and mistakenly called a 'Rolling Hitch') - Used for tying Tubes off.
  • Timber Hitch - Used for tying boards off.
  • Half Hitch - Used for tying bags of fittings off.
  • Figure 8 - Used on the actual rope to stop the rope coming out of the ginny wheel.
Theres more, but those are the main ones.

Also.
Dont let your new employer take the piss with your day rate.

You should be looking for:
  • Yard worker: £50-70 a day.
  • Scaffold Labourer: £70-80 a day.
Thats what i would expect, if i was going to get into this game.

Most important things to remember are, never to do anything your not comfortable with, watch EVERYTHING that the other Scaffolders do, how they work, why tubes go where and such - Its the best way to learn, making your own mistakes along the way
And never take things too seriously - Its only a job after all. :)

I hope this helps.
If you need anymore info, ask the guys here - They are a good bunch.

Good luck mate.
Jay.

Thanks for the fast replies everyone.

Holes and scars are character building , have you got a CSCS card yet ?
and can you tie a half hitch and a timber hitch , dont worry about heights as you will be on a rope and wheel for a good while :)
Don't have a card yet. I'm curently working in a hotel to get some cash up so I can get a car and pay for quals.

I can do a fair few knots from my time on tall ships, but I'll definately look into learning more.

Have you ever actually tried Scaffolding, or held a tube/board?
Reason im asking, is that lots and lots of people 'try' Scaffolding, only to find that the job isnt what they thought it was.

It dont make you a w@anker, if your not able to do it.
Most of us Scaffolders are nutters - Thats why we started it in the first place, lol.
Closest I've got is carrying some tubes from a truck to beside a building I'm afraid.

Still, it seems like that type of job I'm after. Hard graft, satisfying to do and full of other nutters by the sound of it :p

Anyway...

It might be best to get yourself a CSCS Card (click this link their website), then your options open significantly and your able to work on most building sites.

Eventually you'll need a CISRS, but that'll come much later.

Id recommend ringing about various Scaffolding firms in your local area asking for a job either on-site or in the yard.
Yard work aint great, but it'll give you quick first hand experience on what fittings are what, what they do and how to handle tubes/boards.

Learning a few knots will also help and give you an immediate advantage, for when you pull up Scaffolding on a rope and wheel.

Knots to know:
  • Clove Hitch (more commonly and mistakenly called a 'Rolling Hitch') - Used for tying Tubes off.
  • Timber Hitch - Used for tying boards off.
  • Half Hitch - Used for tying bags of fittings off.
  • Figure 8 - Used on the actual rope to stop the rope coming out of the ginny wheel.
Theres more, but those are the main ones.

Also.
Dont let your new employer take the piss with your day rate.

You should be looking for:
  • Yard worker: £50-70 a day.
  • Scaffold Labourer: £70-80 a day.
Thats what i would expect, if i was going to get into this game.

Most important things to remember are, never to do anything your not comfortable with, watch EVERYTHING that the other Scaffolders do, how they work, why tubes go where and such - Its the best way to learn, making your own mistakes along the way
And never take things too seriously - Its only a job after all. :)

I hope this helps.
If you need anymore info, ask the guys here - They are a good bunch.

Good luck mate.
Jay.
Thanks a lot for that Jay. From my quick scan of the CSCS website it seems I need to be doing a NVQ to get a card. Am I reading this right or have I missed something?

Top Bottom