become a trainer

Kevin Smith

Reaction score
Hi Lads,
I have just completed and past my PTLLS in Bircham Newton and looking to go into the training side of things.
I have all relevent training modules related to scaffold and I'm just wondering is there any companies looking for a trainer/instructor around the world?
Sorry but I don't wish to work in the UK as of yet.
I have HSE qualification and good experience in the oil and gas sectors.
Any help would be appreciated :)

Good luck Kevin but if you want to train overseas workers make sure they stay overseas.

Swifty, no worries on that one, these ppl are not eligable to work in the UK, and thanks for the wishes.

How much was the course Kevin, how long and did you need other qualifications before you could do it?

I stayed over at Bircham NCC, so with accomadation it was almost 1400 quid, You have to do a PTLLSIA before they will accept you on the course. All that is, is an additional assesment to see if you have the skillsto carry out the course. Basically it a reading and writing test.

Last edited:
So to get to the stage where you can now send out CV's how much do you reckon you have spent and how long did it take you?

well be honest i have spent more than usual coz I am based and work in Qatar so I had topay for flights time off work etc..... but the IA is 1 day then the course is 10 days.....if you are local to NCC (i think only farm animals are local that place) and dont need acomadation you cud do it all for approx 1400 quid. 2 weeks and 1 day.

Thanks Kevin, good luck with the job hunt.

Good luck Kev I am hoping to go down the same route after Xmas on PTLLS next week for 5 days at Blackpool cost £495, what subject did you use for your 30 minute micro teach? I am thinking of using a suspension traumer presentation and use a harness possibly getting a class member up to for a demondstraition.

I have been enquiring about becoming a CISRS instructor and got some info from the CISRS CAP 609A booklet, trainee instructors need to shadow a part 1 then you have to teach it 4 times competently to progress onto part 2 shadow and teach 4 times then you can move onto Advanced, so If you were lucky enough to get took on somewhere it would take a while to become a competent instructor, another way is getting on all the training centres list as a contractor and traveling around the circuit self employed. Not 100% but i think there is about 48 registered CISRS instructors in the UK.

Good luck Kev I am hoping to go down the same route after Xmas on PTLLS next week for 5 days at Blackpool cost £495, what subject did you use for your 30 minute micro teach? I am thinking of using a suspension traumer presentation and use a harness possibly getting a class member up to for a demondstraition.

I have been enquiring about becoming a CISRS instructor and got some info from the CISRS CAP 609A booklet, trainee instructors need to shadow a part 1 then you have to teach it 4 times competently to progress onto part 2 shadow and teach 4 times then you can move onto Advanced, so If you were lucky enough to get took on somewhere it would take a while to become a competent instructor, another way is getting on all the training centres list as a contractor and traveling around the circuit self employed. Not 100% but i think there is about 48 registered CISRS instructors in the UK.

if you get sorted poachers give us a shout!!! probably sort a few back handers out for the gold ones lol!!!!

I hear you can do that at a well known training centre in the North east Dico, I always wondered why the locals all had gold cards but cound'nt scaffold a wendy house.........

and I aint naming names cos I did my Advanced assessment & Advanced inspection there I'll say no more....shhh

I hear you can do that at a well known training centre in the North east Dico, I always wondered why the locals all had gold cards but cound'nt scaffold a wendy house.........

and I aint naming names cos I did my Advanced assessment & Advanced inspection there I'll say no more....shhh

wouldnt that open a can of worms :laugh:

Hi Poacher, Good luck with the PTLLS, funny you should ask me about the micro teach. It had me very stressed and I went through several topics before I come up with the one i chose.
My advice is no matter what your subject is, run through it a few times minute by minute before the real one, this is what I did and a flew through it and all the stress was for nothing.
A guy from the NCC actually done suspension trauma............and he made it the worst subject ever and killed everyone with PowerPoint.......am sure you will do a better job than him :)

I thought of doing: stapleford scoring system then Aputure & Shutter spead, then i thought scaffold coz there wasnt much research then I ended up with ALCOHOL. What a unit was/ recommended amount and diseases related to alcohol..........went down a treat actually and I achieved my aims of teaching ppl something they didnt know :) I have all the document and presentation if you get stuck ;)

How did you get your A1 Assessors cert? I got mine by assessing two local scaffs with no tickets who worked for a local firm, did it through a local training provider for nowt think the centre got money through train to gain, I am having nightmares about the mirco teach but it's like ought else Kev prepare or fail so I will get me head round it from tomorrow I am in a hotel all next week so I will have to refrain from the delights of Blackpool and prepare to smash my assignments.

You also need first Aid cert to become an instrutor and complete your CTLLS once you start training. I will scan the CAP609A Instructor info and sent it to ypu tomorrow if you forward me your PM address.

If your able to get on as a trainer, you could well open up new avenues and new routes in the game.

Even if the jobs over here is few and few between.
You could do well in the developing countries... like the Middle East and Africa.
Like General Manager and Swifty said, we have enough chancers and wannabes over here, without anymore cheap labour coming here to spoil it.

I Myself, would like to move into that area in the future, when i get really f.ucked up and too old to carry on on the spanners.
Brian Reynolds took me for my Part 1, Alf McGowan took me for my Part 2 and Peter Watts (RIP) took me through my Advanced and they were all top blokes, real gents and proper Scaffolders.

I learned alot, about Scaffolding and about this industry in general from them.

Good luck Kevin.

Jay.
(Took me 20 minutes to write this, as im already pissed up! LOL!)

On my PTTLS I did suspension trauma and seeing as the rest of the class were from completely different backgrounds I found it a great laugh. Started the delivery with a slight powerpoint ( Very basic info) then did an Harness Inspection with some Harnesses I had borrowed from a good source and then went into a full demo with all the class in regards of suspension trauma. The women found a proper turn on.lol. Everybody loved it as INVOLVEMENT is the key...
I have since returned to the collage to do a demo for some of the construction learners and that went very well.

only give them facts and dont make anything up as the class will read it a mile away.

I did my assessors award at the same time as doing the PTTLS.
PTTLS cost £140
A1 cost £500

All the best, if you require any advice feel free to give me a shout. I have a few props which may come in useful if you get stuck.

Regards

Steve..

Last edited:
I also personally think that to train others you need to love Scaffolding and truly know the correct way to do it.

Many dont and i think thats a big problem in this game.
Many say: "F.uck it, that'll do, its not my Dads Firm" and this really aint the best thing to think.

Scaffolding is an art.
Its something that many simply cannot do and we all need to understand that.

How many 'try' Scaffolding? Thousands and thousands?
How many stick at it? Very few.

We're far more then simple monkeys, simple thugs.
We're important to alot of other trades and its time we was recognised for our importance.

Top Bottom