Bad old days

Poledancer

Reaction score
Just watched two consecutive documentry's on construction in the bad old days. First one was the construction of brunels iron ship, where young rivetters would crawl into a confined space in the cavity of the hull and flatten the other side of the rivet. No permit in place noone accurately knew who was in there, these young lads would be overcome with fumes, heat etc and remained where they died. Only discovered many years later on the scrapping of the ship. The second was on the steel workers in new york skyscrapers where two out of five erecters fell to their deaths on one project, it was a worse death rate than a war zone. Health and safety may be a pain in the ass at times, but who would actualy like to see the end of it and go back to the days when leaving your door for work, was like having a game of russian roulette.

at least give us the right to free thinking about how to do the job in the best way for us.common sence should be king.with what scaffs and no other trade or skill has to wear to acheive our goals is rediculous.

A middle ground between safe and unsafe you mean, that would be fairly safe. how would you feel if youre employer or client provided a fairly safe place of work, a fairly safe duty of care, a fairly safe plan of work. Its either one or the other.

A middle ground between safe and unsafe you mean, that would be fairly safe. how would you feel if youre employer or client provided a fairly safe place of work, a fairly safe duty of care, a fairly safe plan of work. Its either one or the other.

I'm afraid that'e exactly what a lot of employers/clients still do.

i would be happy if they all fooked off and let me get on with my job .other trades telling me whats safe or unsafe when scaffolding , i d prefer if the client had no input what so ever . i m not being funny but are you actually a scaffolder. just your posts always seem like the one sided unworkable sh!t i hear from h and s

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 PM ----------

sorry poledancer , just looked at your profile and seen you are hse . very honest of you to add it to your profile .

i would be happy if they all fooked off and let me get on with my job .other trades telling me whats safe or unsafe when scaffolding , i d prefer if the client had no input what so ever . i m not being funny but are you actually a scaffolder. just your posts always seem like the one sided unworkable sh!t i hear from h and s

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 PM ----------

sorry poledancer , just looked at your profile and seen you are hse . very honest of you to add it to your profile .

YES ive just been a victim of the famous allan666 rant now i do feel like a real sf member:bigsmile: Allan i started scaffolding in 1981 and like you since the middle 90s have had exagerated H&S shoved down my mouth. Thats why to defend the company i worked for i made sure i was as if not more qualified as the ***** beating it out to me, to stand back and have a dispute on level ground with them. But years of abuse to my body, and a back that made it a struggle to put my socks on, i had no choice but to get out of scaffolding and move my career in H&S. But if you read my posts properly youll see im all for the good complying scaffolder every time, and without a doubt scaffolders are picked on an used as an example. But cheers for the Rant good job it wernt saturday night i think i would have got far worse than that:D

alright mate every days a saturday at the minute and like i said before i respect you for being honest . its good to see some one who actually knows what there talking about in your position. i have looked at some of your other posts and admit i was wrong ,just that last one about a fairly safe place of work souded like it had come straight from a student .

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObeJpmdeyQ4&feature=related]YouTube - Those Were The Days (My Friend)[/ame]

Top Bottom