Ashamed of being a Scaff

happyhugenoet

Reaction score
I work on a large industrial site which has a hard fought for union presence.The site is well known on the Job page as it is probably the best earner in GB.
All the hours you can do with diggs,and umbrella if you want that crap.
The Union runs a sick levvy after 6 weeks(£10) and also a Death levvy(£30).
Me personally i put to every one but have maybe missed the odd couple due Holidays etc.
I went down to pay a sick levvy today and when you state your name and supervisor they tick you off and give you a wee thank you sticker for the Hard Hat.I had a glance at the sheet and of around 40 so called Men there was around 5/6 names that payed.THE SO CALLED MEN ARE EARNING ANYTHING BETWEEN£600-£1700 and they cant be arsed paying a tenner to a man who cant work for his Family
I AM ASHAMED TO BE A SCAFF ON THIS SITE FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY 25plus Years
THIS Has been brought up in our tool box talks by the men who have worked on the dite for 30/40 years and it was always the Scaffs who lead the way.
THIS WAS ALWAYS THE WAY ON EVRY SITE IVE BEEN ON
DIFFERENT BREED NOW AND I DONT LIKE IT:mad:

tooo true happy,

the last time i was involved it paying in was a whip round whilst on palmers few years ago and a foreman on there lost his leg and had other injuries anyway there was a whip round for him and most put in for him as they knew him and me and a few others put in even tho we didnt know him its a) a scaffolder and B) we would feel ashamed not to put in!!!!!!!! there was one that didnt put in which tbh lowered our opinions of him not even a tenner

Thats The Way Things Are Nowadays Chaps, The Days Of Solidarity Seem To Be Very Much On The Wane, Its A Crying Shame But Thats How It Is, Maybe Thatcherism Has Caught Up With The Scaffolding Industry.

When I was onsite for the first time I questioned this only to be told ' better to put in one than be receiving one' I never missed one after that.

and along with this is why men on these jobs should pay the union fee like i have said b4 they fought and lost money standing on pickets to get this £££££ least the men can do is pay there subs 1 hours wage a month ffs. but to no put in on a whip around regardless of weather your earning 200 or 2,000k some family will be going with out if the bread winner is down. and ill bet £1 to a penny they men who missed wont be union boys

Do what havvaspanners company do and blackball em. Oh! we cant do that,were British.

Sad to say this lads but it is getting too much of an "I'm alright Jack" culture these days and solidarity is getting more of a rarity.:(
There are still decent lads out there though, but majority old-school. :(

@ Happy...

What has become of our Industry's unwritten law ( to assist a Bro at his lowest ebb ) if you PM me with the address I'll send down a Postal Order for a 10 spot...

Brotherhood, truth and harmony virtues that appear to be devoid among the Operatives...only 6 given to a poor and penniless Bro in his time of distress...

Good Post Garry, I Have Been In A State Of Helpless Indegence And Received Assistance In The Past From My Scaffolding Brethern. And Charity Is Twice Blessed Blessing Him Who Gives As Well As Him Who Receives,

the last time i was involved it paying in was a whip round whilst on palmers few years ago and a foreman on there lost his leg
That must be Steve Myers who I worked with a few times over the years. Great scaffolder, such a damn shame. Hope he got a decent payout.

Speaking of Steve, his old workmate Vic Chambers lost one of his legs a few years ago (he died not long after this) when I was on Palmers, and all of us who knew him put in as much money as we could afford. Apart from this so called "superscaff" (I won't name names), who was probably our biggest earner on the firm at the time. He wouldn't pay because, he said, "I don't really know him". Any respect I had for him disappeared that instant.

I didn't really know him

HE WAS A SCAFF WHO LOST A LEG AND HIS ABILITY TO EARN
WHATS WRONG WITH THES CUUNTS:mad:

That must be Steve Myers who I worked with a few times over the years. Great scaffolder, such a damn shame. Hope he got a decent payout.

Speaking of Steve, his old workmate Vic Chambers lost one of his legs a few years ago (he died not long after this) when I was on Palmers, and all of us who knew him put in as much money as we could afford. Apart from this so called "superscaff" (I won't name names), who was probably our biggest earner on the firm at the time. He wouldn't pay because, he said, "I don't really know him". Any respect I had for him disappeared that instant.

It was mate might actually know each other lol I was on there for a year about 3/4 years ago worked with most of the main boys on there

Yes FairPlay to Steve after a couple of days he was ringing up wanting to come back to work lol

iv done a few collections over the years and iv seen both sides of the coin,iv seen the needy and the greedy a boy having a small operation and then going on holidays for 2 weeks and come back to work the exact day is collection was due and when handed his £600 he had the fuucking cheek to count it out in front of me to check its all there. but I did respect a certain individual who had just started and came on to me and said I don't like giving to collections because iv seen them abused over the years so god forbid if I have an accident don't collect for me please.all the rest of the workforces names were up on the board for monthly collections and who never paid were highlighted fuuck em

I've given whenever asked and can only hope that if ever the shoe's on the other foot, the lads come through for me.
There's always some snivelling wee c&nt that will try to shirk his duties when the bunnet goes round though.
You know who you are!:mad:

It was mate might actually know each other lol I was on there for a year about 3/4 years ago worked with most of the main boys on there

Yes FairPlay to Steve after a couple of days he was ringing up wanting to come back to work lol
I left late Palmers 2008 so our paths probably never crossed.... As for Steve, I'm not in the least bit surprised he started ringing up wanting to come back to work! I remember on some other job I was working with him a long time ago, he damaged his foot pretty bad and instead of taking time off he was back on site as soon as possible, hopping around to make sure everything was runnning ok! That's dedication for you! :laugh: Scaffolding is/was his life and I hope he's found some way back into the game.

I left late Palmers 2008 so our paths probably never crossed.... As for Steve, I'm not in the least bit surprised he started ringing up wanting to come back to work! I remember on some other job I was working with him a long time ago, he damaged his foot pretty bad and instead of taking time off he was back on site as soon as possible, hopping around to make sure everything was runnning ok! That's dedication for you! :laugh: Scaffolding is/was his life and I hope he's found some way back into the game.

I'm curious to find out as well how's he's doing

Top Bottom