asbestos

georgebrown140

Reaction score
hi lads.
was considering doing an asbestos course. i have noticed a few jobs for scaffs with this ticket. just wondered what use think ? is it worth doing ?
i have already done my confined spaces/pts/ipaf/safety passport/ cscs and appointed first aid.

thanxs for any feed back

Personally I'd keep away from asbestos, the trouble is you can guarantee that we all have been exposed to it at one time or another without knowing.
Drilling for ties, boards brought in from other jobs etc.
Have you seen the azzy gangs in their tents with no masks on? If they don't care about themselves they aint gonna care about you.

Done an asbestos awareness course years back. Done a birdcage for a scaff firm on a price inside a big hall to remove asbestos tiles from walls and ceiling, the asbestos guys tented it but done it on the outside of the scaffold so the scaffold was'nt protected, I refused to take it down, was told its ok it was all hoovered up, still would'nt do it. I got paid for the erect and they must have got another gang to take it down, bet they never told them.

Thanx for the feed back lads. I was going to do some training with a couple off hundred pound. I was
Looking at pasma or asbestos. These r both quite cheap but i am not to convinced on either. The asbestos jobs all seem to ask for u to have ure own face fit mask. I no these masks arent cheap but the rates seem to be ok. But surely this work is dying off ? The pasma ma help me stay in pts work as we use pasma towers to put the beams in during possesing. But would this benifit me else where ?
So what do use think ? Or ir there any other courses that would help kee me in the better payed jobs. Becouse god help me a dont want to have to go back the street working for peanuts.

Last edited:
Why not do a NEBOSH course or a SMSTS mate, get into H&S or a management role ? Scaffold inspection etc.

Regards
Paddy

I may do the NEBOSH course in a couple off years mate bv i am only turning twenty eight so dont want to be behînd a desk just yet. Plus the basic NEBOSH starts at 16
Hundred mate and as a said am only planing on spending a couple of hundred the now mate.

Last edited:
No problem George, my apologies, i didnt realise your age. I thought you were looking to get off the Elsies.

Keep your bit mate, take yourself and your lass on a wee break mate. Plenty of time for courses.

Good man George,always good to see a man trying to advance himself.

asbestos removal can be done safely but it isnt , you will be putting your health in the hands of idiots that the dole have put through a sh!t ticket . if you been scaffolding over 10 year you will have been well and trully exposed already . i remember bombing fittings on asbestos sheets so they didnt get damaged . definetly drilled into it and openly worked with white asbestos after being told it was safe . a few of my friends have asbestos removal firms and they do not do it right .no fooker goes through the clean/dirty trailer every time they need a p!ss

fook me george you will try anything god loves a tryer but nebosh ?????????????????????????

awright dave. hows things?
theres no day shift left at waverley anymore mate. wee all start night shift on monday.
better money a suppose but dont no how much longer wee will get. where u working. back at network ?

am no planning on doing the NEBOSH for a good couple of years yet mate lol

aye so i hear spoke to neily the day yeah bk there on a 12hr poss last nite in northampton living the dream not pmsl

No doubt many people have been exposed to some form of asbestos over their working lives - although that's no reason to panic. The most common type is white crysotile (non notifiable) and exposure to this form of asbestos is usually very low risk, as the silicone magnesium fibres contained within the cement are dissolved naturally in the human lungs. If you are asked to do a job when you are going to knowingly be exposed to asbestos, make sure that all protective measures (risk assessments, PPE) are put in place and that your Employer has the appropriate Asbestos coverage under their Employers Liability insurance to indemnify them, in case you are unfortunate enough to get ill later in life as a result of the exposure and seek compensation.

Top Bottom