are things picking up

b-safe1

Reaction score
we have been very busy for about 3,weeks now, and have a fare bit booked in. we have not been this busy for a couple of years hopefully it will keep up is anybody else finding the same thing

Other end of the country b-safe but we have been grinding in the hours for a few months now. Private sector still quiet but we have started buying gear again for the first time in a long time. Nice to hear there could be a general trend towards pre recession levels.

We are mental as feck with work but still not making any money according to senior management.

theres always options i think but the money in general is shockin ,it didnt even stand still it droped .

If everybody stood there ground and didn't drop below £20 a mtr everybody would be much happier. I hear of firms charging £7.80 a mtr. How ever they are making that pay is beyond me.

If everybody stood there ground and didn't drop below £20 a mtr everybody would be much happier. I hear of firms charging £7.80 a mtr. How ever they are making that pay is beyond me.

Quality answer, The trouble is its a free for all and it's under cutting killing the job, eventually they'll only be Europeans working this game for pittance.

our yard been empty for weeks , we been stripping erecting so far so good , could take lot more work on , but im sticking to my guns as more work would need more labour, more scaffold to buy and im not prepared to invest at present, tube 97p a foot , boards 8-50 each, diesel 1-35 to 1-40 a litre , household energy prices set to rise by 19%, cost of living is generally rocketing , so im just keeping things simple , if the right work for the right money for a client who pays well comes along im all over it like tramps over chips, but till then im chillaxing

our yard been empty for weeks , we been stripping erecting so far so good , could take lot more work on , but im sticking to my guns as more work would need more labour, more scaffold to buy and im not prepared to invest at present, tube 97p a foot , boards 8-50 each, diesel 1-35 to 1-40 a litre , household energy prices set to rise by 19%, cost of living is generally rocketing , so im just keeping things simple , if the right work for the right money for a client who pays well comes along im all over it like tramps over chips, but till then im chillaxing

Here, here, some guys in my area will do a job at a loss just to undercut you, so you dont get the work. If there`s no profit involved doesnt need a genius to figur out not to do it but some here will do it anyway to put others out of work. Crazy.

there are companies round our way doing jobs for stupid money it just doesnt add up , then you get talking to one of the lads and you find out all lads on different money, squads of 3 n 4 men doing 6, 7, 8 or 9 jobs a day, basically the pay is totally unreal upto £80 a wk difference between 2 lads doing same amount of work aweek, both are main lad in 2 different squads fcuk knows what the other 2 or 3 lads get. NO WAY would I either accept that as a lad nor would I pay my lads like that the only way i pay one lad differently to his equal is if they have made it via bonus.

Here, here, some guys in my area will do a job at a loss just to undercut you, so you dont get the work. If there`s no profit involved doesnt need a genius to figur out not to do it but some here will do it anyway to put others out of work. Crazy.

i know what you are saying mate we had that round here, but they have all now packed up as could not make it pay, we have now put our rates back up abit and the work still is comeing in, so hopefully things will not be looking to bad, we are only a small firm, but we have got some good lads and over the years they have looked after us, so we keeped them on when things was realy bad ,and it was costing us, but i do not know if we could of done for another 6,months hopefully the work will keep comeing and the rates slowly slowly go back up

Very busy at min , prices are ok , just waiting for money as usual

Been waiting for three years! There lucky my missus is such a hard ****!;)

i know what you are saying mate we had that round here, but they have all now packed up as could not make it pay, we have now put our rates back up abit and the work still is comeing in, so hopefully things will not be looking to bad, we are only a small firm, but we have got some good lads and over the years they have looked after us, so we keeped them on when things was realy bad ,and it was costing us, but i do not know if we could of done for another 6,months hopefully the work will keep comeing and the rates slowly slowly go back up

Yeh but the firms that are doing it around here have been going for years, maybe thier trying to make life hard for me coz i just been going 2 years now.
They were trying to make things hard for me getting better now.
Glad to see its picking up.

I think some times it comes down to a straight choice. I could see all our smaller clients work starting to dry up and we sat in the yard doing very little for a number of weeks. So when a couple of larger jobs presented themselves from a client we have never worked for before I took them both on. After chatting with a couple of the boy's it was either sitting in the yard doing nothing or emptying the yard and working long hard hours trying to keep up. Rightly or wrongly I chose the empty yard.

We`re in North Wales and as Aom, said you got to do whatever it takes to keep going.

Don't worry woodsie, the price was a good one. I know the formulas regarding any fool can be busy. :noworry:

Yeh but the firms that are doing it around here have been going for years, maybe thier trying to make life hard for me coz i just been going 2 years now.
They were trying to make things hard for me getting better now.
Glad to see its picking up.

you start out when thinks was really bad, and you have done 2 years mate hopefully it is the start of things getting better, but you have done the hard bit showing them you are there to stay, they can only go on for so long doing jobs for no profit i take my hat off to you mate.

Top Bottom