Are scaffold pull tests a legal requirement?

johnjnorton

Reaction score
Good evening, I am a site manager and one of our sub-contractors has assembled a three storey scaffold on the front of a building as part of a window replacement programme. The scaffold is tied into the building. My health and safety manager is insisting on seeing pull test results, stating it is a legal requirement. Is this true?
can anyone help?

Good evening, I am a site manager and one of our sub-contractors has assembled a three storey scaffold on the front of a building as part of a window replacement programme. The scaffold is tied into the building. My health and safety manager is insisting on seeing pull test results, stating it is a legal requirement. Is this true?
can anyone help?

Yes.

Read NASC guidance TG4:11 for all sorts of tit-bits about tying scaffolds.

Unfortunately yes

but any other drilled anchors such as false ceiling , RSJs , etc etc dont for some stupid
fu cking reason

A scaffold company has a legal duty to build a safe stable suitable scaffold with safe access and egress under the health and safety at work act 1974, section 2 and 3. Scaffolding is also covered by the work at height regulations 2005 as amended as well. This scaffold will be for others to work on and it must be built where it cannot fall down, nobody can fall off it and nothing can fall off it. So in simple terms if it is tied by masonry anchors they need a test.

good evening, i am a site manager and one of our sub-contractors has assembled a three storey scaffold on the front of a building as part of a window replacement programme. The scaffold is tied into the building. My health and safety manager is insisting on seeing pull test results, stating it is a legal requirement. Is this true?
Can anyone help?

save the scaffs a head acke and ask them if they can put some raker. Buttress on the job ;)

Tg4:11 outlines all the details but yes it is...most companies now own a hydrajaws or hilti mark5 tester & have the abolity o do it in house- if not you can google independant testers that site visit & depending on how many ties need to be tested depends on price....starts arond £350-500
5% of all ties or min of 3 - tested ties should be suitable for the substructure & tagged as tested & a seperate report sheet -this really shoula been picked up earlier & shown in their rams

Last edited:
Tg4:11 outlines all the details but yes it is...most companies now own a hydrajaws or hilti mark5 tester & have the abolity o do it in house- if not you can google independant testers that site visit & depending on how many ties need to be tested depends on price....starts arond £350-500
5% of all ties or min of 3 - tested ties should be suitable for the substructure & tagged as tested & a seperate report sheet -this really shoula been picked up earlier & shown in their rams

350- 500 FOR INDAPENDANT TESTER TO COME IN .... WERE DO I DO THE COURSE AND WERE DO YOU GET THE HYDRAJAWS? ANY IDEA HOW MUCH IT WILL BE TO STICKERS MY FIESTA UP SP WITH HYDRAWJAWS TESTER :laugh:

In answer to the original question and as confirmed on the forum, yes the testing of ties is a legal requirement endorsed by the HSE and also the NASC in their guidance note TG4:11.

In addition to this, a new British standard has just been issued BS8539:2012. Code of practice for the selection and installation post-installed anchors in concrete and masonry.

HSE guidelines stipulate that a proportion of ties should be proof tested on all jobs in accordance with NASC technical guidance TG4:11. This is to demonstrate that the ties achieve the required strength, either based on the manufacture’s data for the base material, or where this is not available based on strengths established by preliminary tests of the anchor in the base material.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just like to thank andrew @ hydrajaws today...after a phone call he not only arranged for my kit to be calibrated & tested but me & my boy to be put through his mini course as certified pull testers..all last minute but well presented & good value for the cost "great all british manufacturing "

Top Bottom