Anyone work with van thiel scaffold?

rick

Reaction score
Awrite guys gotta shout offshore overseas but all the company uses is van thiel and layher. I'm a tube and fitting lad an pretty handy with most prefabricated systems but only stumbled over this van thiel gear a few times. I'm pretty sure there's a progressive pattern with the wedge doubles, there was a debate on the forum last year that when building an independent/hanger you needed to fit one of the handrails on the outside in order stop the wedges interfering with one another but I'm sure there's a pattern to follow when fixing these nasty couplers to prevent this. Any info from the van thiel guru's out there would be much appreciated. (Heard there's a few company's in UK using it) apparently rapid system to those familiar with it. Cheers in advance guys

its nothing difficult , you'll have no problems with it

Last edited:
Worked with it when it first arrived in the early nineties , easy peasy lemon squeazy nuff said .

Cheers lads I know it's a relatively easy system. I'm sure ill be master of the hammer in no time :laugh: Used it in holland few years ago with the tubelock system (prefix Aberdeen and intermediate trannies) shouldn't take long to adapt :D

Do you mean these nasty ones......

Cause they use them here but you shouldn't put handrails on the outside anyways to fit them. There is a rule here in Alberta Canada that midrails can be put up between 18 inches to 21 inches and the toprail between 36 inches to 42 inches. I don't know how it is with you guys since I have never worked in the UK.
Just keep a gap inbetween the couplers about 1 inch to 2 inches as long as you don't box the wedges what they like to do here. It's easier when it comes to the loose wedges they fit tighter but I have no idea what the standards are for handrails (been gone too long)

Anyways I still prefer the boltclamps "if that's how you call them" it's easier to adapt to for me but they don't like to use them here, they are either to dumb or too lazy to use a spanner.

Last edited:
Yeah that's the ones dutch can. I've never personally fitted handrails to the outside I just remember a few of the regulars on the forum on a thread discussing van thiel and there was a debate that it was the only way possible. I knew from personal experience this was avoidable but can also remember having a few teething problems when I was dismantling (obviously I was fitting the clamps too close to each other. Takes a bit of getting used 2 striking the hammer all day long when a spanner is ur best friend :cry: thanks for your input mate and welcome to the forum

If you get a hammer don't get one that weights more 22 ounces it screws up the couplers but more important your wrists. I personally use an Estwing 20 ounces and you will get used to them I have build some crazy hangers with these couplers although I still curse on them.

One tip though look into antivibe hammers they are supposes to help although I never used one.

I don't like them all that hammering ! But I can understand why some companies like them as they don't require much (if any maintenance) ,there are no threads to go rusty .

It's what you prefer bro back in Holland we used 3 different couplers, the bolt clamp, the coupler with loose wedges and the ones with the fixed wedges. I still miss the bolt clamps but you can't have what you don't have. I'm sure that right angles are cheaper then bolt clamps no wonder that companies love them cheap and maintance free.

Yeah that's the ones dutch can. I've never personally fitted handrails to the outside I just remember a few of the regulars on the forum on a thread discussing van thiel and there was a debate that it was the only way possible. I knew from personal experience this was avoidable but can also remember having a few teething problems when I was dismantling (obviously I was fitting the clamps too close to each other. Takes a bit of getting used 2 striking the hammer all day long when a spanner is ur best friend :cry: thanks for your input mate and welcome to the forum

Keep the wedge of the fitting to the outside of the standard then you cant go wrong.

Top Bottom