Anyone got solar?

bigfish

Reaction score
Has any of the lads on here got solar panels on their own houses?As we're doing a fair few of these job's,I was thinking of getting them(Heavily discounted i hope!)on my own house,And would welcome any feedback,I.e. is it worth the hassle,cost,maintenance,benefit's,Any grant's available,I've read all the blurb on these but they are going to give it all the bull as they want sales.:unsure:

There is a company going around the area asking to put pannels on the roofs saying something about you will get half the power and the company then sells the rest to the grid it all part of the goverments push or something will try and get the wed address

Went to a seminar the other day

It takes over 40 years to get your money back from renewable resources :cry:

The equipment is only warranted for 5 years:evil:

Try selling your house in a few years time with these on your roof, and with someone else gaining the credits:mad:

If it don't work in Florida, it feckin well won't work here:blink1:

I have been told by someone who has had panels fitted that you get your oney back after between 8-10 yrs depending on the initial cost.You then get your power 'free' when you use it & then 'sell' the unused electricity you generate in the day back to the national grid.

You receive a check every month for your Feed in Tariff (f.i.t.).This is payable for the next 25 yrs.If you sell your house before that then you still get the f.i.t as you paid for the initial installation.
Supposedly the return for your initial investment is over 10%,which is way better than you would get in any savings account. But you obviously cant draw your money out as you have spent the cost of the installation (approx £10K)
I spoke to a fitter who said its a good return for the outlay,better than buying a £10K car which is going to depreciate in value.
If I had loads of spare cash sitting doing nothing I may consider getting Photovoltic panels,but until that point I shall keep on paying my electricity bill.

Will the govt cut the f.i.t. when loads of houses have panels??

I have been told by someone who has had panels fitted that you get your oney back after between 8-10 yrs depending on the initial cost.You then get your power 'free' when you use it & then 'sell' the unused electricity you generate in the day back to the national grid.

Your power is free during daylight hours after dark you revert back to normal use, installation is between 10k and 15k and your return will be between £1200.00 and £1500.00 per year

i spoke to a customer and they said it is well worth haveing but it is just a big out lay, another thing with all the solar panels going up all over the place, has anyone had to do a stack with them on the roofs.

i spoke to a customer and they said it is well worth haveing but it is just a big out lay, another thing with all the solar panels going up all over the place, has anyone had to do a stack with them on the roofs.

Very good point b-safe

Has any of the lads on here got solar panels on their own houses?As we're doing a fair few of these job's,I was thinking of getting them(Heavily discounted i hope!)on my own house,And would welcome any feedback,I.e. is it worth the hassle,cost,maintenance,benefit's,Any grant's available,I've read all the blurb on these but they are going to give it all the bull as they want sales.:unsure:

our neck of the woods have had a leaflet drop saying free instalation free pannels if you have a south facing roof but the installer is then renting the air space above your roof for the next 25years some gov iniative but if they then have rights to the airspace what happens if you move???? or want them off??? or need to move them for say a window or conversion always check the fine print

we binned the copy so i cant give you more details

our neck of the woods have had a leaflet drop saying free instalation free pannels if you have a south facing roof

If you get free installation and panels you do not get any money back per year from the government/electricity company all you get is a reduced electricity bill for daylight hours

If you have 10 grand to invest it would be a good return. Better than an isa and safer than the stock market but I wouldn't get a loan to buy them as it would eat up your return. If you do have the cash and haven't already paid off your mortgage it could work out better to pay of the capital and save interest each month

Had the panels fitted 6 months ago 2.2kw system great stuff free electricity day light hours, grid pays 3.5p for any spare electrictiy, goverment pays 43p for each kw that you produce for the 25 years. The sums work out 14% per year for your out lay. Will take only 5 years to repay out lay.

We did one today & the old dear said they had money lying around in the bank earning nothing,so they were advised to get panels as they WILL get a return for their money.

The 90 year old man next door to me had it done... I don't think he's going to see a return... no wife/ children.

That's interesting about if you sell your house though... so the new people get no benefit?

Someone else randomly said the other day that solar panels are "dead"... I wondered if it was our weather... and perhaps all the attic conversions that have gone up over the last 15 years.

BUT then someone else I know, who does home improvements, is just about to launch solar panels.

:unsure:

We worked on a house last week in a village in North Yorkshire and the owner had a DIY (B&Q Special I think) wind turbine in his garden and he gets a lot of electric from that he said.
I don't know how much it created but I thought if looked good......

If you sell your house,you get the f.i.t. but the new house owners get free electricity during daylight hours.They will save on their electric bills so it should be a selling point for your house.

Top Bottom