Another great British company sold

I used to be really envious of my mates who had a Raleigh Activator II when i was kid... was a pukka bike. :)

Mum and Dad never had the money to get me one then, lol.

The kid over the road had a Raleigh bomber, I used to knock it at dinner break to ride home from school. Asked the parents to buy me one for Xmas & when they pulled the box from behind the sofa I was the happiest boy alive, that is untill I opened the fukcing thing to discover a silver girls bike complete with shopping basket!!!!:mad:
I don't think I ever really forgave them for it & needless to say it got "nicked" from outside the paper shop within a week. :blink1:

My favorite was the chopper, before they were retro.:noworry:

I always thought so but we were pretty poor so maybe the old man nicked the badge from the neighbours bike.:cool:

Still makes my eyes water when you caught the nads on that gear stick.:eek:

My fist bike was a Raleigh Buggie, after that I got a Grifter, Then the mighty Chopper, then the 80's came and it was the BMX time with the gonads padding....

Yup. Raleigh made the chopper. Fooking deadly bike, you either tore your nads off on that gear stick or caved the back of your skull in every time you tried to pop a wheelie. :p

In the 70`s me and a few lads used to ride a raleigh several times a week she was called Julia, best bike in Bradford LOL

My fist bike was a Raleigh Buggie, after that I got a Grifter, Then the mighty Chopper, then the 80's came and it was the BMX time with the gonads padding....

You must have been minted at a time as the grifter was the bad boy everyone wanted and only that wee nyaff fae doon the road could afford it.

I think the Chopper pre dates the Grifter though.

Me too, it was Tac who surprised me because he had the Grifter first. It was the other way round up my way.

I always wanted a chopper when I was a boy.They were £38 in our local bike shop.When it came to my 11th birthday my dad said I could have a bike,I was sooooo excited.
We went down to the shop and there it was,a bright orange chopper sitting proudly in the middle of the shop display.My dad walked straight past it & up to a Raleigh Arena 10 speed racer.'here you go son,this is the one you can have'.
I was gutted,all my mates had choppers & I wanted one....The racer was £70,but the old man was not budging,it was the racer or nothing.So obviously I had the racer.
It turned out to be the best bike going,I turned the handle bars up,then later I put a pair of 'Cow horn' handle bars & I could wheeley that bike all day long while my mates choppers alll fell apart and they all got racers.....

God life was so simple in those days..

To young to rember the first chopper and not really about in my day ither but have come back strong as i see a few on them now, the racers witht he gars on the cross frame and the thign wheels lol dnt see them about ither any more. And we called them bull bars but no matter what biek you had it had to have a tip top carton or can rammed home in the back wheel to sound like a motor biek or ya wernt cool lolaye those werre the day building dens french arrows u know what they are??? And coming home for ya t sh1t right up lol ad ga back tamorra

got the BMX i wanted but by the time they came about knocked off motorbokes became more fashionable the bmx got rusty and backies on a knocked off was the order of the day.
cant complain really as it made me the REAL SCAFF i am ;)

More British Manufacturing And Innovation Going Abroad, Seriously Gents, Globalisation Has So Much To Answer For. Its Totally Fekking The World Look At Whats Happening In Spain Goddammed Nightmare.

Top Bottom