Advice

Graeme1877

Reaction score
Alright lads

Just looking for some advice, I am 19 and in college in my second year doing a HND in coputer technical support. I dont really like computer work but it seem like a comfy job, working inside and a salary of around 25k a year. Recently I have been offered a 4 year scaffolding apprenticeship through my sister who works getting young people into the building trade. I would like to ask use some questions.

Do you like being a scaffolder ?

Would you recomend it as a career ?

Is there good money to be made ?

Last week in my local paper businesses from calgary, canada were advertising for people in my area to work in the building trade over there and that the average person makes 45k a year. Obviously I would have to complete my apprenticeship before I could even think about going abroad but would anybody recomend working abroad ?

Any advice would be much appreciated

cheers

Move directly to GO Canada have there own accreditation so its no point wasting your life here when there are lots of oppourtunities for young uns out there

At your time in life, I'd try a few things out kid. You can get into scaffolding a bit later on if you're a grafter. That's my advice anyway.

stoned roses is right marra stick with what you have done and then try scaffolding if you no likey no likey you can allways go back to what you did as your qualified alot of scaffs have done something before they were scaffolding asn opertunity was their after failing dropping out getting board of the old job but dont be fooled we work extra hard to make up on them 4/5 years wasted lol what am saying is stick to what you know and if it dont work out for what ever reason then try scaffolding good luck in you chosen Career;)

I've never regretted becomin a scaff but if Ya really are any good wi computers n **** stick wi it.
To be honest if Canadians are offering that sorta money for scaffs what they gonna give acomputer boff?!!
If Ya do decide on this game then best of luck son.
Best wishes whatever Ya choose

Depends on what you really want for your self in life. I spent 25 years as a roofer/structural waterproofer before taking up scaffolding. Not by choice but by necessity. If I had my time again I would have done this job from the beginning. The work is hard & the weather can be harsh.
You can make some good money but you either have to put the hours or the graft in depending on the type of site you're on.
My advice would be to try & get a bit of weekend labouring work first to see if its for you.
Good luck with what ever you decide on. :)

Do you like being a scaffolder ?

Yes

Would you recomend it as a career ?

No

Is there good money to be made ?

If you're good, know the right people or willing to suck and swallow yes

Last week in my local paper businesses from calgary, canada were advertising for people in my area to work in the building trade over there and that the average person makes 45k a year. Obviously I would have to complete my apprenticeship before I could even think about going abroad but would anybody recomend working abroad ?

Can't help you there, but avoid Algeria.

Any advice would be much appreciated

The works hard and the industry is cut-throat and uncaring. Only consider it, if you despise the idea of being stuck inside all day. Don't drop any tube, don't turn up p!ssed, don't say you'll work Saturday then not turn up and for the love of God, do not turn up for work wearing pink socks and wearing a t-shirt that says "sperm dumpster".

do not get into this game if you are doing something else that pays well... only do scaffolding if you have nothing else you can do...

A mixed bag of replies so can't add much but what I would say is most employers would treat any scaff with an HND in rolling his own fags with deep suspicion let alone any other qualification.

I like the job, but as others have said, complete your training then decide.

Top Bottom