Advice Please

Glen_C

Reaction score
I am interested in getting in to scaffolding, but aged 36 and not having a driving licence am I wasting my time trying? I do have some experience of scaffold labouring, as have worked as a labourer on building sites for years and done the scaffold labouring to earn a little extra money on the side, also way back in 91-93 did 18months work experience at a scaffolding firm when I was a youth trainee.

Hi Glen

Welcome to the forums :)

I don't have any advice for you, I'm afraid, but hopefully some of the guys can give you their words of wisdom!

Hello Glen , as they say your never to old mate , oldest lad i seen on the tools was 72 :eek: and my old man still does the odd week and he is almost 66, so if its what you wanna do the go for it :blink1:

theres a guy called roy in chester le street still on the tools and hes well into his 70 s , scaffoldings all about tickets and sucking c*ck these days so your age shouldnt be an issue

the more tickets you have the more prizes you get even thou some dont have the exsperience and hide behind the ones that do you no the ones.that wait untill the jobs set out then jump up and start fixing ante got a problem with it cause we all had to learn but dont give tickets out like confetti cause whats comeing through is not good exsperience first then tickets too much swagger jagger in the industry lol!!

Hi Glen and welcome to the forum. At 36 you are going to struggle to take the same usual crap the grunnies have to deal with, but you will also have a great advantage with desire and drive which would set you head and shoulders above the usual bunch. Another problem that could arise is some smarmy 21 year old will probably leave you for dust in the scaffolding stakes at some point which can be hard to take. As the boy's have said, go for it, there is still plenty time to earn a good living from a good trade.

we all slag it down from time to time but!!! where can you earn some good money beats the 575 a hour that on offer out there just a shame we have to work the 7 days now!! to have the champagne life style we used to have for 5 days!!!

I will never again work 7 days, doesnt matter if i havnt a pot to piss in, live life for your family, we walk on this land for only a short time, enjoy.

FFS Dico, I could work 8 days a week and still not afford the brown ale life style let alone the champers. I must be doing it wrong.

FFS Dico, I could work 8 days a week and still not afford the brown ale life style let alone the champers. I must be doing it wrong.

stop paying for private jets then try a bit of easy jet now and again lol!!!!

eh well, if I couldn't manage the odd wee half I definitely would have to give it up.:noworry:

---------- Post added at 11:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 PM ----------

stop paying for private jets then try a bit of easy jet now and again lol!!!!

Stuff that, I'm like Mr T, you aint getin me on no damn airplane. I'm just back from my holidays, a week on a caravan park about 60 miles from the house. I know how to spoil the Mrs.:cool:

last time i saw mr t he was flying a helicopter throwing snicker bars out of a hellicopter but it was on a tv advert us olde school used to call them marathons how things change lol!!

I am interested in getting in to scaffolding, but aged 36 and not having a driving licence am I wasting my time trying? I do have some experience of scaffold labouring, as have worked as a labourer on building sites for years and done the scaffold labouring to earn a little extra money on the side, also way back in 91-93 did 18months work experience at a scaffolding firm when I was a youth trainee.

Hello mate.

No... your never too old to start this job.
Maybe at a slight disadvantage as you'll have to work with more experienced guys, who are younger and more qualified then you, but this dont mean much.

The most important thing is how you adapt to the game and how fast you pick up the basics and how fast you learn.
Ive worked with people who have been 20+ years into the game and guys with 5 years under their belt are THEIR chargehands and better Scaffolders, then the older 20+ guys are.

A wise man once said: Theres no wrong way to put a Scaffold up, but theres only 1 right way to do it.

A driving licence is a bonus, like in any job, but its not a necessity, especially if you work in a city area, like London, Manchester and so on.

As long as your fit, keen and eager to learn (making mistakes as much as learning from your work mates, to develop your own way of doing things), you'll be fine. :)

I hope this helps.
Good luck mate.

Jay.

Top Bottom