Access Thru Hoarding?

Nick-CDS

Reaction score
I have a fairly large pavement gantry I'm working on at the moment and one of the provisions is that regular pedestrian access points should be included for people wishing to cross the road, see the sights and have a jolly good time.

Now. I have it in my head that these should be a maximum of every 8 metres through the hoarding. Everyone else in the office has said the same thing but I've been asked to prove it and I cannot for the life of me remember where I got this from.

Does anyone know of a website, council conditions, good practice guide or anything that can confirm this? I've tried HSE, local council and TWF.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I know;)

---------- Post added at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 PM ----------

Ask Terry, Steve or Ian they think they know everything.

Hoping someone puts me out of my misery.

Poor guy on site is getting hounded by the paperwork monkeys and this is the only thing I can't prove and it's really doing my shed in now.

Tricky one Nick.
Crossing the road in the UK is similar to scaffolding in that it is generally covered by recommendations not law. Apart from motorways and "no pedestrian" areas people can cross where they like and if you or motorists impede them you will be liable.
The best advice I can give is find a section of road in the area that has railings etc stopping people crossing and measure it. Then you can say if its good enough for the local council and highways agency its good enough for all.

---------- Post added at 03:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

I can remember doing some in Stratford years ago they were about 80 metres long and we did leave some roadside access for pedestrians. As long as the access gap meets the councils requirements for pavement access you should be ok with 8m.

Found it eventually stashed away in the dark recesses of the pavement licence conditions. We was all off with 8 m as this council wants 5 m and it varies from town to town. So when you say 'it's a tricky one' HaveSpanner; you're not wrong.

Cheers for the help folks.

Seem to recall it was 6m in Westminster but more for escape routes from muggers - straight in to the path of a bus normally!

Don't think they enforce it too rigorously as long as it is sensible.

Got round it in the end without to change the layout by saying 8m was more reasonable to work with given the other stipulations of access to phone boxes and crossings, access to I.C.s, keeping shop fronts unobstructed etc. and he was happy with that. I think they just like receiving mail.

Top Bottom