Access for taking down a small chimney stack from a bungalow

ringi

Reaction score
Sorry for asking a question that must have been asked 101 times before.

I am thinking of removing the chimney stack from our bungalow. It is on the edge of the roof, so one side could be easily reached from a simple tower. Along the side of the bungalow is a concrete driveway about 10 feet wide.

The cheap option is just to user a tower, however I don’t like the concept of leaning about 1 or 2 foot from the tower to reach the far side of the chimney, also any bricks the fall off will damage the roof. I could cover the roof round the chimney with ply board to product it.

Is there some sort of simple platform I can hang of a tower that will go round a small chimney? It will need to extend about 4 feet past the edge of the tower. I would be happy with a solution that just gave me access round 3 sides of the chimney.

A full scaffolding install seems a bit over the top for the job, but may be the best option, what sort of costs will I be locking at in the Stockport area?

Get a proper scaffold you cheap skate. No wonder the fall from heightsstatistics are so high

£500 would be a fair price if there are no obstacles, but I'd imagine pound notes would get you quite a reasonable discount.

You can get aluminium saddles for this purpose but you may as well pay a scaffolder as the cost won't be much greater and less hassle.

Well said swifty you must run your own ship with your gab

Get a proper scaffold you cheap skate. No wonder the fall from heightsstatistics are so high

If I was a cheap skate I would be using a ladder against the chimney and not thinking about safe methods of working.

£500 would be a fair price if there are no obstacles, but I'd imagine pound notes would get you quite a reasonable discount.

Thanks,

Would I be able to lower the platform myself as I took down the chimney, being able to easily remove platforms as I work it one nice aspect of using a tower. Ideally I would like to be able to move a platform down about 4 foot at a time, so that I am always working at a comfortable height.

Thanks,

Would I be able to lower the platform myself as I took down the chimney, being able to easily remove platforms as I work it one nice aspect of using a tower. Ideally I would like to be able to move a platform down about 4 foot at a time, so that I am always working at a comfortable height.

Why not just hire the gear and do the whole job yourself. Its not rocket science. If you look at the picture section you will find photos that show you how not to do it. You may strike lucky and find a picture of the correct way but the odds are slim.

Put the working platform at the base of the stack, then stretch up to knock it down. You're only dismantling it, not rebuilding it . Then make the roof good at the end. It'll be a lot cheaper this way.

Avoid this option

Removal of stack is it no longer reqd for santa entry ?

Attachments

• image003.jpg
    image003.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 32
How high is the stack?

Good question I have not measured it, but the top can be reached using a standard 2 section ladder. (A builder put a cowl on it using a 2 section ladder that he could fit on the roof rack of his car – rather him then me!)

It is about 3 foot higher than the ridge of the bungalow roof, so about 6m in total with not much more then 2.5m free standing over the bungalow wall. Sorry, as I am not at home at present, I can’t count the number of bricks to get the height.

The roof is a “hip to hip”, the chimney is an extension of the back wall, with one side of the chimney in line with the wall and the other side about a foot into the roof.

There is a level concrete driveway along the wall giving good access and support. I do not mind having expanding bolts into the driveway to hold feet and out riggers study.

About the easiest chimney there could be on a hip roof.

Good question I have not measured it, but the top can be reached using a standard 2 section ladder. (A builder put a cowl on it using a 2 section ladder that he could fit on the roof rack of his car – rather him then me!)

It is about 3 foot higher than the ridge of the bungalow roof, so about 6m in total with not much more then 2.5m free standing over the bungalow wall. Sorry, as I am not at home at present, I can’t count the number of bricks to get the height.

The roof is a “hip to hip”, the chimney is an extension of the back wall, with one side of the chimney in line with the wall and the other side about a foot into the roof.

There is a level concrete driveway along the wall giving good access and support. I do not mind having expanding bolts into the driveway to hold feet and out riggers study.

About the easiest chimney there could be on a hip roof.
Google your closest scaffold firm and tell them you have £300 cash, that should do it just before Christmas. I hope you haven't got kids, they're going to think your a right Humbug demoshing the chimney two weeks before christmas day !

get a scaffold built and let the scaffolders bring it down with the scaffold, sounds like a weekend job and knock

Wouldn't get it for 300 brick round here. With the amount of planning that has already went in to this one I could have had it up and down by now. The first advice you got was still the best, get a scaff to build you a wee throw in at the lead level and a 2m lift above that and get it down.

You could do it yourself but you would more than likely do more damage than you realised to your existing roof and that could cost you a fair chunk of change in the new year.

Stockport Steve, you thinking about doing a homer?

Stockport Steve, you thinking about doing a homer?

i was gonna offer my services n take marra down with me but from his last comment n won't wanna share a sleeper cab wit me would he lol. :laugh:

Top Bottom