a need for supervisor ? or not

timthumb

Reaction score
is there any need for a supervisor when

1 can do it all by mobile with boss

2 scaff can turn up on site and sort out the agents needs while driver unloads lorry

3 scaff does all the handovers and extras takes them back to the yard monthly

4 scaff can take photos of the job so manager can see whats being done

5 scaff can order his own gear or he can just have lots of mixed loads

6 toolbox talks can be done by post and you can ring the secretary if you have any q's you can ask them once a month

7 any problem on site can be sorted out by the scaff on site in his break or whilst erecting

so no visiting supervision save £30 000

good idea or not

just a chargehand needed , or appointed person in the squad i think.

supervisors are to supervise on sites where needed not to run around sorting bumff out

do you plan to pay the scaff on site for the extra responsibility if so then yes :)

Tim, that's why they brought in the SSSTS so you can have it all, should it go t1ts up.

Last edited:
I think it depends on the size of the outfit and the trust worthyness of your Employees.

I remember hearing this tale when i first started out:

A squad of scaffs had to go in 1 Sat morning to strike a Independent in a field that had been used to support the installation of New power lines.

Anyway they were all ill with the drink:eek: (Never, i hear you's hail) however it's true. Too cut a long story short, one of the more sober of the squad, removed a Transom from the Scaffold and started spearing it into the Ground all over the area. He was then passing the 'Tube Turds' (Tufts of Grass) to his mates, who started shoving them in the ends of the scaffold tubes.

Come Monday, the Gaffer went Ballistic with the squad for not stripping the Job. The leader informed him," it was stripped, and on the wagon, you can see the marks where we bombed the tubing in the field.we were just about to leave when this guy in a suit and hard hat came along and stated they wernt finished with the Scaffold. In order to keep you on good terms Boss, we went back in on Sunday and re-erected it for you, however, we were there all day and want double time:eek:

Supervisor might have worked then. Till this day, if that boss is still alive, he has not found the mysterious man in the Suit and Hard hat.:D:D:

or scaff turns up
1 doesnt bother with extras ( no pen , doesnt know whats included )

2 doesnt bother with internal birdcages ( no one told me guv )

3 bases out with long and 16s around the 1 lift garage ( i dont bother with drawings ive got to get on )

4 has 8 different blokes with him on a period of 10 days

and on and on

Great one paddy

Supervisors what about the handovers that the lads hand in at the end of the week ? This is what pays the wages this needs to be claimed out of the contract ?

Time sheets need to calculated so you get the rite money or F**ck me little jonny is crying on Friday night when stood at the cash machine ?

Before the scaffolder turn up at site who does the risk assessments / method statements ?

Who does the prestart meeting to ensure everything is in place before the scaffs land on site ?

This is not the branch managers job it's the supervisors in most large companies yes the smaller street companies only have the branch manager and probs good lads that have been with him from day one but are these lads not supervisors ?

JUST MY TAKE ON IT anyway whos the scaff going to knock out if he fucks me about again LOL

no need for time sheets as scaffs are going to have mobile phones that we can track them with to know what time they shoot of home...

records can be checked back anytime to be able to keep tabs on the lads

WHAT ????????
Time sheets are attached to the job files so the company can track how much they pay out on each job.
Within the quote there is a price to erect and a price to dismantle you might only get 10 /15 pounds an hour but its no good sending 3 lads on 10 pounds an hour for 8 hour as the cost would be 3x 80 = 240 for that day if there is only 180 on the price to cover the wages.
As for the mobile thing just cos your on site does not mean your doing anything ????

Have you ever worked as a supervisor ?

no need for time sheets as scaffs are going to have mobile phones that we can track them with to know what time they shoot of home...

records can be checked back anytime to be able to keep tabs on the lads

Take turns holding the mobile phones springs to mind, 2 in the house at any one time;)

or leave the phone on site , get your mate to take it in on weekends or overtime find your lads on facebook all day ?

3 mobile phones, lying on the scaffold= 3 scaffolders lying sunbathing in a beer garden,:D

---------- Post added at 03:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 PM ----------

Oops the 3 batteries went flat, all at the same time, must of been a Cosmic storm.

Site rules:- No mobile Phones allowed.

No Mobile coverage/Bad reception, especially in the Lounge, where the 'Leek show' is.;)

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 PM ----------

With all due respect, We are Scaffolders, not Mother Teresa of Calcutta, hope it works for you my friend.

**** me tim who have you gone on for //?? Andy M ??

If you have good lads who work well for you and you treat them well sites can run themselves. It just the chargehand to be clued up on the extras and stuff.

I think it would only work for a small to medium size company though in all honesty!

Top Bottom