A guide to Scaffolders Speak

Flinty

Reaction score
The Blunderbus- Usually referring to the oldest lorry in the fleet

Bubble- A spirit level

Bombing- Launching gear off the scaffold as its taken down into a rough target zone

Cowboy- Someone not really worth the title 'scaffolder'

Death trap- Scaff step

Dusty knees, Brown nose- Referring to someone who goes overboard to be liked by the boss, implying he gets on his knees and sticks his nose up his a*se.

Diverted Pass- Passing tube to a workmate that involves dropping or throwing it

Dog Sh!t- A labourer

Elton- A bent tube or board

Game Keeper- Someone who leaves 'traps' in boards

GAMT- Gravitationally Assisted Material Transfer, the art of passing off bombing kit as safe

Guns- To old scaffs this is referring to their arm muscles, i.e "look at my guns grrr" to the high tech scaffs this refers to his shiny new toy, his impact wrench

Gutless sleeve- A sleeve with no centre divider

Hollywood scaff- A scaffolder that refuses to get dirty

Job and Knock- The promise of completing a job then going home, ideally early

Key- An odd one, this means a Scaffold spanner

Lager tokens- A bribe to keep the men working late, always paid in cash so other halves don't take it

M!nge clip/Fanny flap- A rarely seen design of single that with some imagination could be passed as a womanly part.

Monday club
- A group of workers who usually don't turn up to work on Monday

Oasis Board
- A scaffold board with a damaged band, i.e "a sh!t band". Often shouted in warning when chaining kit up to prevent injury

On the nest- Shagging the ms or wife, i.e "sorry I'm late I was on the nest this morning"

Palming a tube- A show off technique where a scaffolder lifts a tube, usually a 21, then holds it above his head with it balanced on the palm of his hand

Sacking Season- The run up to Christmas when work drys up and men fear for their jobs

Sh!t Spreaders/ Scum- Brick layers

Suit and Boot- Anyone wearing clothes too good to be on a building site with a misguided sense of importance, usually hated by scaffolders

Sentence- As in, "how many years into your sentence are you?" is asking how many years someone has been a scaffolder

Stretchneck- A man who spends his time being nosey

Topper Dodger- A scaffolder who uses every excuse to avoid 'topping' a tube

A Trap- Placing scaffold boards so that if someone steps onto some part of it, it tips up sending said individual plummeting to the ground

Tranny- This is slang for "transom", not someone who likes to try out different clothing.

Woodlice- Carpenters

Last edited:
keep em coming...

what was the one you used recently?

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

keep em coming...

what was the one you used recently?

the blunderbus- usually referring to the oldest lorry in the fleet

bubble- a spirit level

kit gear soldiers use kit
bombing- launching kit off the scaffold as its taken down into a rough target zone

cowboy- someone not really worth the title 'scaffolder'

death trap- scaff step

diverted pass- passing tube to a workmate that involves dropping or throwing it

dog sh!t- a labourer

gamt- gravitationally assisted material transfer, the art of passing off bombing kit as safe

guns- to old scaffs this is referring to their arm muscles, i.e "look at my guns grrr" to the high tech scaffs this refers to his shiny new toy, his impact wrench

gutless sleeve- a sleeve with no centre divider

job and knock- the promise of completing a job then going home, ideally early

key- an odd one, this means a scaffold spanner

m!nge clip/fanny flap- a rarely seen design of single that with some imagination could be passed as a womanly part.

monday club
- a group of workers who usually don't turn up to work on monday

oasis board
- a scaffold board with a damaged band, i.e "a sh!t band". Often shouted in warning when chaining kit up to prevent injury

on the nest- shagging the ms or wifeor some 1 eles ., i.e "sorry i'm late i was on the nest this morning"

palming a tube- a show off technique where a scaffolder lifts a tube, usually a 21, then holds it above his head with it balanced on the palm of his hand

sacking season- the run up to christmas when work drys up and men fear for their jobs

suit and boot- anyone wearing clothes too good to be on a building site with a misguided sense of importance, usually hated by scaffolders

sentence- as in, "how many years into your sentence are you?" is asking how many years someone has been a scaffolder

a trap- placing scaffold boards so that if someone steps onto some part of it, it tips up sending said individual plummeting to the ground

dusty knees brown nose

brown nose not to be trusted

tranny not a bloke dressed as women but neeless still on its back over a ledger

The Blunderbus- Usually referring to the oldest lorry in the fleet

Bubble- A spirit level

Bombing- Launching kit off the scaffold as its taken down into a rough target zone

Cowboy- Someone not really worth the title 'scaffolder'

Death trap- Scaff step

Diverted Pass- Passing tube to a workmate that involves dropping or throwing it

Dog Sh!t- A labourer

GAMT- Gravitationally Assisted Material Transfer, the art of passing off bombing kit as safe

Guns- To old scaffs this is referring to their arm muscles, i.e "look at my guns grrr" to the high tech scaffs this refers to his shiny new toy, his impact wrench

Gutless sleeve- A sleeve with no centre divider

Job and Knock- The promise of completing a job then going home, ideally early

Key- An odd one, this means a Scaffold spanner

M!nge clip/Fanny flap- A rarely seen design of single that with some imagination could be passed as a womanly part.

Monday club
- A group of workers who usually don't turn up to work on Monday

Oasis Board
- A scaffold board with a damaged band, i.e "a sh!t band". Often shouted in warning when chaining kit up to prevent injury

On the nest- Shagging the ms or wife, i.e "sorry I'm late I was on the nest this morning"

Palming a tube- A show off technique where a scaffolder lifts a tube, usually a 21, then holds it above his head with it balanced on the palm of his hand

Sacking Season- The run up to Christmas when work drys up and men fear for their jobs

Suit and Boot- Anyone wearing clothes too good to be on a building site with a misguided sense of importance, usually hated by scaffolders

Sentence- As in, "how many years into your sentence are you?" is asking how many years someone has been a scaffolder

A Trap- Placing scaffold boards so that if someone steps onto some part of it, it tips up sending said individual plummeting to the ground
Nice one Flinty,never heard GAMT before gonna use that one!!

nice one flinty,never heard gamt before gonna use that one!!

gamt ahahha av use it a few times in a mock up for site we had to pass somemgear down i drops a few fitting charge hand whent nuts i told him you herd of the gamt method he said yeah ahaha advanced thinks he knows everything i then said ''flintys'' gravity assisted material transfer is gamt to which he siad ahahah thats a god 1 (fort youd herd of it mr know fekl all all )

Darkies Lips = Clips
Sh itters = Bad boards only fit for the skip
Hairy ape = measuring tape
Tit for = Hard hat
Jolly Rodger = Podger
Heap of shi t = a badly erected job
Lager Tokens = extra money to finish a job or work late , always in cash so the old women dont get her hands on it instead of the local landlord
Magic Wand = a tool that most site managers seem to think we use.

barney rubble double miss pringle single officeal time for a fag

Some old ones
Fanny clip ,pigs ear (transom clips)
Box (sleeve)
90 (double)
Keys (spanners)

Purley Way - Sway
Aunt Sally - Alli

Gamekeeper..... someone who is always leaving traps in boards
Pontoon.......... big un 21
Dog................ is a DH
Strechneck ......nosey cant