5 scaffolders die a year!!!! News to me?

R

ragscaff

Watching a video by the NASC.

They state five scaffolder die every year scaffolding & 50 are injured!!!

I have met with the HSE several times over the last three years & asked for specific details on accidents involving scaffolders to date no info.

Most falls from heights are roofers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why do we bother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:won dering:

How to put up scaffolding correctly - YouTube

Ragscaff

(tried changing title would not let me)

---------- Post added at 10:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 AM ----------

How can he clip on with his viz on top of his harness!!!

How to put up scaffolding correctly - YouTube

Top vid!!

It is an eight year old video though

Yes but the basis for the improvement run up to SG4 10!!!

How can you develop & change things when the foundation was incorrect?

SQ

Was those figures correct at the time of the video shoot.

Looks to me to be an advert to sell cd's. An old ad as well,no agr in site. fully decked out inside outside hr and still clipping on.If theyre that concerned all advice should be free. £49.00. joke

We all know its propaganda and bullshiit from the NASC.

Was those figures correct at the time of the video shoot.

You tell me!

Or sorry can Simon tell me. I have asked for statistics like these for around 10 years in different management positions & never been given any. At least we could say that now we have x amount of accidents which is an improvement on 2008 when we had 5 die a year & 50 major accidents. Also we need to monitor the manual handling & effect any changes has on the body, wear & tear.

This information should be monitored every time there is an accident, we should know what they were doing, why, who it was, what there qualifications were & was it preventable. Without this how can any guidlines be written.

Might as well lick your finger & hold it in the air!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yes someone did & hence the step was invented:eek::eek:

SQ

Did anyone wanna hazard a guess at why the Step was invented?

Id bet a few quid on this:

Someone high up at the NASC has a 'friend' who thought of this stupid, condescending and dangerous idea to invent this silly little alloy step - enforce every Scaffolder to use it, without ANY type of formal training, short of a silly video to be watched.

Then sell it at a overpriced amount, whilst splitting the money 50/50 and making an absolute fortune?

Is that too far beyond the realms of fantasy?

I personally dont think it is...

Or could it be that it is now illegal for anyone to work next to an open edge, why should scaffolders be any different? Contrary to what most seem to think we are not supermen and deserve to go home safe the same as anyone else. The step is only one solution, if you don't like it, slide it chum.;)

All it will take is a death from someone falling off the step and under the ledger whilst not clipped on and it will be hasta lavista combisafe step!

haha, anyone who falls off the step and under a ledger deserves to die and would hardly survive longer working from an open edge.

haha, I was young and it was a hanger.:embarrest::laugh:

I fell through a scaffold when I was 16.
Too eager to use the spanner!! My brother was running the ledgers and braces through the independant on a roofing scaffold ( only 12 ft to working lift ) on a school. Once I had loaded the lift out, I jumped up and ran the trannys in, using a board to mark out with. I then jumped up and pulled the first fleet of 13ft boards on, but didn't realize I used a 14ft board to mark out with. Fell straight though my own trap!! LOL

Could it be a worldwide figure maybe....not seen the futures myself but 5 per year in the UK seems a little high?!?

Going over a lot of old ground here, look in SG4:10 it will give you the stats in falls measured by the NASC. The last Nasc member to lose a scaffolder due to a fall was 2004. If you fell off a combisafe step not clipped it would be your fault as you should be clipped on as per their manufacturers instructions.

As for the statistics the Hse hold all the information about falls and all other scaffold related injuries but they group them will roofers and other construction trades. I cannot see this changing due to riddor going to 7 days to cut the paperwork by 33% and less Hse.

Ian

ian surely it would cut the paper work out alot more than that if you think of all the minors eyes abrasions sprains

Did anyone wanna hazard a guess at why the Step was invented?

Id bet a few quid on this:

Someone high up at the NASC has a 'friend' who thought of this stupid, condescending and dangerous idea to invent this silly little alloy step - enforce every Scaffolder to use it, without ANY type of formal training, short of a silly video to be watched.

Then sell it at a overpriced amount, whilst splitting the money 50/50 and making an absolute fortune?

Is that too far beyond the realms of fantasy?

I personally dont think it is...

Well said Jason, we are trained to work at height and build defences for others.

Well said Jason, we are trained to work at height and build defences for others.

That was also my belief back in the day but know I am responsible for others my opinion has changed.

Top Bottom