2 week school work experience placement

Mitchells Scaffolding

Reaction score
we have been allowing 15 -16 year olds to come to us and do their work placement 1-4 different lads in a year and to date one girl in the office
just wondering if any of you ever take them on

obviously they dont get off the ground but they all bar 1 seem to love it
Our staff are great with them they cant be out all the time but they do get to visit site with the boss and help on jobs loading wagons passing gear and alike.
quite a few have asked us of their ow bat if they could do a placement with us

but we have had some kids who came for pre place interviews that do not want this type of work computing or office or sales (not hands on)
it makes me wonder if the school just try and get the kids anything without a care

anyone else had any experience of this

Think your right mate " manual labour" I screamed, so they sorted out a office job at a stockbrokers in canary wharf , but soon realised that I didn't want to be behind a desk, first job after school was as brickies labourer loved it. Now though my mates brothers/sons all get placed in work experience they hate

I know a few scaffolders who would benefit from going back to school for a couple of years!!!!

---------- Post added at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

Think your right mate " manual labour" I screamed, so they sorted out a office job at a stockbrokers in canary wharf , but soon realised that I didn't want to be behind a desk, first job after school was as brickies labourer loved it. Now though my mates brothers/sons all get placed in work experience they hate

Any regrets Bobby? Those stockbrokers love a bonus!!

People think I'm talking bollox when I say that hoodless Brennan they were called took me down the pub lunchtime and everything..... Nope no regrets :sick: lol

I have been asked a few times but always reneged as it appeared too much trouble. My mate has a 14 year old boy who wants to come with us, so might have to do something this year.

DONE MINE WITH A PLUMBER YOU HAD THE CHOISE TO ORGANISE IT YOUR SELF OR LET SCHOOL DO IT . IF SCHOOL DONE IT YOU GOT A LODA SH1TE WORKIGN IN LOCAL LIBARY ETC. I WORKED WITH THIS PLUMBER AND JUST TURNED UP THE FOLLOWING WEEK AS IT WAS HALF TERM HE SAID IT WAS ONLY FOR A WEEK I SAID WELL IT WAS BUT AM OFF SCHOOL FOR A WEEK SO FORT AD COME BACK LOL GOT PAID FOR THE WEEK LOL:laugh:

Years ago when my son needed placing the school asked if i would be willing ...but i said i didnt think it was a good idea....so they put him with the largest scaffolding company in Basingstoke- unfortunitley he was used & abused. Started @ 7 am loading wagons painting fitting & Manual handling, he never got to go out with the lorrys as promised or see the office side & finished @5pm...although the school placements are for work experiance ffs they never even bought him breakie let alone a token wage...so for the second week we took him- after all if anyones allowed to take the piiis outa him its me lol.
We've never been asked to place anyone & tbh not sure if i'd want the hassle

Just how fekin stupid do you have to be to use and abuse a young school boy like that? I have done a lot of things I regret over the years to new starts but that takes the fekin biscuit.

years ago when my son needed placing the school asked if i would be willing ...but i said i didnt think it was a good idea....so they put him with the largest scaffolding company in basingstoke- unfortunitley he was used & abused. Started @ 7 am loading wagons painting fitting & manual handling, he never got to go out with the lorrys as promised or see the office side & finished @5pm...although the school placements are for work experiance ffs they never even bought him breakie let alone a token wage...so for the second week we took him- after all if anyones allowed to take the piiis outa him its me lol.
We've never been asked to place anyone & tbh not sure if i'd want the hassle

poor fekker lol we only gto 1 week but was schol holidays and if there was a chance of work i took it lol. Aye thats the thing with it thow just use them as tea boys and what have you i dont think your really learn/ get anything from them heres no pressure put on you theres nothing hardest thing is is choosing what to have in your sarnies lol

Would'nt fancy it myself,it'd be too much like babysitting and wouldn't you have to pay a large insurance premium?:unsure:

We would certainly need to notify our insurers that's for sure. I do remember being asked to donate a scaffold to a primary school once, so the wee one's could use it to do graffiti on a wall. It totally confused me as I had no idea how to set the hand rail height or even how to get them on it. The head teacher couldn't understand what my problem was even when I explained most of our jobs are designed to keep they wee rat bags off the job. In the end they they told me to fook off.:laugh:

I dont know about the insurance bf but i think the whole thing would be a nightmare...could you imagine getting some spotty attitude gobshiite suckin his lips @ ya...no me neither lolo

I dont know about the insurance bf but i think the whole thing would be a nightmare...could you imagine getting some spotty attitude gobshiite suckin his lips @ ya...no me neither lolo

It's bad enough having to babysit half the feckin scaffs:cry:

Lolo tell me about it. I had to come down 6lifts today to start the disc cutter as the labrador didnt know how to mix the 2 stoke ffs after 10mins of shoutin down it was just easier yo do it myself lol

We would certainly need to notify our insurers that's for sure. I do remember being asked to donate a scaffold to a primary school once, so the wee one's could use it to do graffiti on a wall. It totally confused me as I had no idea how to set the hand rail height or even how to get them on it. The head teacher couldn't understand what my problem was even when I explained most of our jobs are designed to keep they wee rat bags off the job. In the end they they told me to fook off.:laugh:

What height handrails/ access could just imagine it ;) be laughing about that all night nice aom classic mate:laugh:

I wont let anyone else fuel the feckin disc saw's,if I fuel them then i'm not left with a seized saw,most scaff's think saw's are free:mad:

I don't mind admitting Bobby, it burst ma heid as well.:laugh:

Best hope battersea dogs home don't read this thread mate you'll be the first bloke they will ring if they want an adventure playground or something for the dogs :laugh: lol in tears now mate :)

haha, your just making up your own jokes now Bobby.:laugh::laugh:

we let our insurers know the dates the kid are coming and supply a young persons Risk assessment. if i have space in a wagon they go out but we have to choose the jobs they go on so they arnt out all day. our young man at the moment is on 2 domestic jobs for the day i would hate him to be stuck in yard its freezing and what kinda crap would that be
we want the lads to get a true idea of the industry and by going out they help at ground level and see just what goes into working in scaffolding

Top Bottom