2 hole unit beams

aussiebob

Reaction score
Lads, just got a delivery of 2 hole fishtale plate unit beams. My memory tells me they were outlawed or band some years ago, can't remember why or how long ago, can anybody help jog my old memory.

Thank you in advance.

Talked to my designer about this a couple of years ago and he assurers me they are fine to use as the joint is stronger the the beam , and we use them regularly on designed work if your still in doubt talk with an engineer mate .

usin 2 holes all the time in designs no prob

Ok, thanks guys, maybe I was dreaming they had been band. Thanks for your replies.

whats the diffrence between the 2 hole and the 3 kn wise used 2 hole on part 2 but we have 3 holes yans a wuk

Lads, just got a delivery of 2 hole fishtale plate unit beams. My memory tells me they were outlawed or band some years ago, can't remember why or how long ago, can anybody help jog my old memory.

Thank you in advance.

Old wives tale, the old Mills beam had three holes and the SGB beam had two.
Two is fine, as previousley stated the joint is stronger than the beam

Thanks Alan, maybe that's what I had in the back of my mind, being an old Mills,s man we were "band" from useing GB's gear. That's good because, the part I left out is, my contractor has already used 30 of the 2 hole one's on a cantilever / truss out with a loading of 20kns per outside leg, so my arse pulled in a bit, when the 2 hole subject came up. Cheers, fecking wives tales :).

Thanks Alan, maybe that's what I had in the back of my mind, being an old Mills,s man we were "band" from useing GB's gear. That's good because, the part I left out is, my contractor has already used 30 of the 2 hole one's on a cantilever / truss out with a loading of 20kns per outside leg, so my arse pulled in a bit, when the 2 hole subject came up. Cheers, fecking wives tales :).

The most common mistake which creates a problem is the use of incorrect bolts.
Most operations buy and use "Set Screws" (looks like a bolt with a full length thread) thinking they are bolts, They are not.
A Bolt has a shank (smooth unthreaded area) the full bolt thickness which is where the bolts shear capacity is.

Before you ask the correct specification is Black Hex. Head Bolt M20 x 45 to BS4190 grade 4.6 with 1.5D Thread Length and 4 off M20 nut and washer.

1.5D is 1.5x dia = 30mm fromthe 45 leaves a 15mm shank.

Last edited:
CLASS ALLAN COVERED EVERY ANGLE AS USUAL.
YOUR A WEALTH OF INFORMATION,ANY RELATION TO POWERFOOL SCAFF BY ANY CHANCE.:eek:

YOUR A WEALTH OF INFORMATION,ANY RELATION TO POWERFOOL SCAFF BY ANY CHANCE.:eek:

you joking big bad benny boy pays alan to add ladder beam in to jobs just so he can flick them about its sort of like a gym member ship

you joking big bad benny boy pays alan to add ladder beam in to jobs just so he can flick them about its sort of like a gym member ship

Q1) I bl00dy hope not!
Q2) I put them in to make it look pretty

not a great lover of beams myself unlike powerfool
theres things i can do with tube i could never do with beams
like benchpress;)

Top Bottom