who will be in the dock if there is an accident

Scaffolding Competence

Only a trained and competent scaffolders have the legal right to erect, dismantle and alter scaffolding, Competency means being trained at CISRS approved training centres and holding the appropriate CISRS card.

The Working at Height Regulations 2005 - Regulation 5 - Competence - Every employer shall ensure that no person engages in any activity, including organisation, planning and supervision, in relation to work at height or work equipment for use in such work unless he is competent to do so or, if being trained, is being supervised by a competent person.WAHR - Schedule 3 - Part 2 - Reg 12. Scaffolding may be assembled, dismantled or significantly altered only under the supervision of a competent person and by persons who have received appropriate and specific training in the operations envisaged which adresses specific risks which the operation may entail and precations to be taken.

Persons other than CISRS certified scaffolders caught erecting scaffolding are in breach of the regulations and if caught face prosecution.

The following link contains more on competency:

Construction - Scaffolding - Scaffold tower industry health & safety

Another link to HSE Improvement and Prohibition Notices issued to persons not qualified to erect scaffolding.

HSE Enforcement Notices Area : Notice Details

Ken Cain

As far as scaffolding is concerned the competence is trained & ticketed such as the CISRS scheme.

The HSE have informed us that this is what is in the new guideline SG4 2010.

That means that no one other than a ticketed scaffolder can alter or remove any fixed scaffold, including handrails, braces & especially ties!

See a brickie with a spanner in his bucket remove it & throw it away.

Stewart Quinney
SCCR
Chairman

what if the brickie, has a valid cisrs card???????

Best to play it safe and throw him over the side as well.:D

beleive you me,,i have a few thoughts like that,,,excellent reply mate

safety first eh

Safety first every time and the safest place for a brickie who thinks he has a scaffs ticket is always going to be over the side.

Where about in Stirling are you? I was through there yesterday, it was freeezin.

Safety first every time and the safest place for a brickie who thinks he has a scaffs ticket is always going to be over the side.

Where about in Stirling are you? I was through there yesterday, it was freeezin.

im in springkers estate,,,,,army barracks,,,,and its cold,,,,youll not be used to that if ya from c town,,,,,arent they on the gulf mainstream:amazed:

murder trying to get a start here,,,,,looks like i may be forced to do other trades a dont want too:blink:

We are on the gulf mainstream although you wouldn't think it the last few weeks but still not as bad as you are getting it. Our snow is almost all away but there seemed quite a bit there yesterday.

My brother used to live not far from you in Fallin, crackin wee miners welfare. He was in one of the new houses and I think the estate got a bit big for him and he now lives in Kippen.

Sorry to hear your struggling for work I would have thought it wouldn't have been so bad there as your so central. In saying that there was a guy travelling through our way who I recently heard went to the wall just in the past week or so, did you know who that would be?

We are on the gulf mainstream although you wouldn't think it the last few weeks but still not as bad as you are getting it. Our snow is almost all away but there seemed quite a bit there yesterday.

My brother used to live not far from you in Fallin, crackin wee miners welfare. He was in one of the new houses and I think the estate got a bit big for him and he now lives in Kippen.

Sorry to hear your struggling for work I would have thought it wouldn't have been so bad there as your so central. In saying that there was a guy travelling through our way who I recently heard went to the wall just in the past week or so, did you know who that would be?

sorry dont know anyone in stirling,,,,,only moved here because its central, and my work scaffolding was in edinburgh!!.
so i dont know any1 here.

i know where fallin is and the miners club though,,we pass it goin fishin.

as for travelling,,id travel anywhere north,,,,ive got a campervan,,,,and have worked away loads,,,so am quite lucky,,"mobile digs"!!

av tried a few local co,s,,,macdonald scaff being 1 but no luck.

am thoroughly scunnered

I have heard a few especially on here in the same boat, sorry no leads I'm afraid. I hope you get something soon.

just want some advice guys.

i have just found out today,
the guy who is running a site i am on,
only has his BASIC card.

i have an ADVANCED ticket,
so if there was an accident
who will be in court in the dock,
me,him or the company.

im not sure how he has managed swindle this job but he has.

thanks

im not sure were all you guys go on bitchin bout a guy with a basic ticket,and the ones that has advanced scaffold tickets,ive worked with tons of guys with advanced scaffold tickets and let me tell ya they woudnt stand a long tube never mind build a good job,and ive worked wit tons of guys that have basic tickets scaffolding for 20 yrs or more and would build any kind of job as if he was building it from a drawing,if the guy is running the job and doing it well let him get on with it,and just hope that nothing goes wrong,pull him to one side if your concerned bout his ticket ,have a chat with him ,is he signing off the jobs ,has he got a inspecters ticket also

I have heard a few especially on here in the same boat, sorry no leads I'm afraid. I hope you get something soon.

need to et me pt2 first me think,s.. tapped mum for pt1,,,dont want to tap her for pt2 , until i find out if i can get it funded elsewhere first

cheers matey:):)

be alright this time next year.

Give Simian the new member thread a shout, they have funding as long as you haven't got your svq yet. This is coming to an end so get your skates on.

Mightmouse, I hope this info helps, the top section is from an HSE Information Sheet on Competence Issues, the second is Reg 12 of the WAH Regs 2005 and the bottom section is something from the Electricity at Work Regs
• Supervisors should be qualified to advanced scaffolder level.
• All employees should be competent for the type of scaffolding work they are undertaking and should have received appropriate training relevant to the system they are working on.
• Appropriate levels of supervision should be provided.
• Scaffold inspections should be conducted by an appropriately qualified person.
• Scaffold register should note defects and corrective actions taken.
• Appropriate qualifications may include: Construction Industry Scaffolders Record Scheme (CISRS).
• Relevant manufacturers training.
• Proposed CITB/NASC courses for system scaffolding and Limited skills. Proposed SA-FE (Safe Access-Fall Elimination) system courses.
• Further guidance is available on: www.hse.gov.uk/construction/scaffolding.htm

Reg12 or the Work @ Height Regs states - Scaffolding may be assembled, dismantled or significantly altered only under the supervision of a competent person and by persons who have received appropriate and specific training in the operations envisaged which addresses specific risks which the operations may entail and precautions to be taken, and more particularly in—
(a) understanding of the plan for the assembly, dismantling or alteration of the scaffolding concerned;
(b) safety during the assembly, dismantling or alteration of the scaffolding concerned;
(c) measures to prevent the risk of persons, materials or objects falling;
(d) safety measures in the event of changing weather conditions which could adversely affect the safety of the scaffolding concerned;
(e) permissible loadings;
(f) any other risks which the assembly, dismantling or alteration of the scaffolding may entail.

If any of the work done on site is judged to be advanced work, it should be supervised by an Advance Scaffolder. However, if the company give a Basic Scaffolder supervisory responsibility and an accident was to occur, they would be held responsible. I have witnessed HSE investigations that have actually went back to the training centre, to see how a person performed on their training course.

The best example of the requirements for a Person to be competent to prevent danger and injury are those written in the Electricity at Work Regs –

Reg 16. No person shall be engaged in any work activity where technical knowledge or experience is necessary to prevent danger or, where appropriate, injury, unless he possesses such knowledge or experience, or is under such degree of supervision as may be appropriate having regard to the nature of the work.

He should have a level of knowledge and experience to be able to recognize any errors in the process or work being carried out and be competent enough to resolve those errors without endangering himself or others involved in the process or work being carried out.

if you are a compertent scaffolder you can sign them of as a basic, most gold card scaffs cant even do a hanger

Good job your not in charge mate... a basic part 2 cannot erect or sign off any scaffold that goes out of their card range... ie. hangers, he can work on one under the superrvision of an advanced scaffolder.. pretty basic knowledge that.. :eek:

Good job your not in charge mate... a basic part 2 cannot erect or sign off any scaffold that goes out of their card range... ie. hangers, he can work on one under the superrvision of an advanced scaffolder.. pretty basic knowledge that.. :eek:

Feckin hell, cassie you must be bored digging up old threads like this one lol,you snowed in pal?how's the weather over there?;)

Feckin hell, cassie you must be bored digging up old threads like this one lol,you snowed in pal?how's the weather over there?;)

LOL... yeh, shops dont open til 12 mate... not had much snow, see it coming next week tho pal.. finished work Friday, but were back in for a shift on 31st.. how fucked ups that... then back to normal 2nd jan.. on a refinery , so its 365 days a year, might get called in over xmas, if i answer mi phone..lol..

LOL... yeh, shops dont open til 12 mate... not had much snow, see it coming next week tho pal.. finished work Friday, but were back in for a shift on 31st.. how fucked ups that... then back to normal 2nd jan.. on a refinery , so its 365 days a year, might get called in over xmas, if i answer mi phone..lol..

Hopefully the big snow will come on the 30th lol,or tell em there's a feckin big grizzly outside my front door:eek:have a good un and stay safe;)

just want some advice guys.

i have just found out today,
the guy who is running a site i am on,
only has his BASIC card.

i have an ADVANCED ticket,
so if there was an accident
who will be in court in the dock,
me,him or the company.

im not sure how he has managed swindle this job but he has

Perhaps i'm about to upset the cart a bit now as i'm gonna look @it from a slightly differnt angle so no hatemail back please lol
There is a lot of good info already posted concerning
Both the hse and legalities of tickets & experiance which are all good and valid points but i'd just like to say that your post stinks of a little sour grapes that because u are an advanced scaffold u should have priority to run the site...well in my view ur wrong, you dont know the way this company operates it may well be sending in a supervisor to verify the scaffolds and handovers.as you are a advanced technically all works erected could be said to be under your supervision...your chargehand may have had a good working history with this company and may have their trust, but lets face it if you dont like the way its run, then you could always leave or start up on your own..in the mean time dont worry about scafftags or handovers or anything outta your remit .

As the original post is 2 years old perhaps MM will pick this up and tell us how it all panned out.

Top Bottom