Question: Aberdeen transom?

• Thread starter scaffoldingsafetyservices
  • Start date
No one I knew crossed him. Last time I worked for him was on the beach at the old John Brown yard nightshift. He was days and for a while it was like a scene from a western as he went toe to toe with some who didn't know or didn't care who he was, there was only ever one winner. Not sure where he went after that, might have been the Forth Rail bridge before they got bumped.

Well lads have to be carefull were this post is going, some real characters form the reel world of scaffolding coming up on the cards. so lets get back to Abb/scaff the founder of the Aberdeen tranny ?

you should be a diplomat old scaff i know most of the guys in the thread but as they say some things are better off not mentioned

Well lads have to be carefull were this post is going, some real characters form the reel world of scaffolding coming up on the cards. so lets get back to Abb/scaff the founder of the Aberdeen tranny ?
Old scaff, did you ever come across a guy called Big Jimmy P , he worked with his son Little Jimmy P ? we had a job for SGB in Paisley, I met them there .

Sorry for not posting for some time busy at the moment
yes Big JP work with him on the Brent delta late 80s
and then in Bp Grangemouth
UIE Clydebank was the last big job I was on with the big yin ,
also the last time I seen both of his boys
He was some man 2 belts tied together and lifting a tray of chops of the Hot plate in the mess hall.
Telling end less storeys about scaffolding and pop up tents before they come on to the market,
Last I heard he was driving a pensioners bus ,to and from hospitals hope he is still out there
Legend James Plunkett

Sorry for not posting for some time busy at the moment
yes Big JP work with him on the Brent delta late 80s
and then in Bp Grangemouth
UIE Clydebank was the last big job I was on with the big yin ,
also the last time I seen both of his boys
He was some man 2 belts tied together and lifting a tray of chops of the Hot plate in the mess hall.
Telling end less storeys about scaffolding and pop up tents before they come on to the market,
Last I heard he was driving a pensioners bus ,to and from hospitals hope he is still out there
Legend James Plunkett
Thanks , I often wondered about him , he was a decent guy, had his level on a yellow phone cable. And "Big Jimmy p" on his hard hat

Last edited:
Thanks , I often wondered about him , he was a decent guy, had his level on a yellow phone cable. And "Big Jimmy p" on his hard hat
"Big" Jimmy Plunkett is still on the go, retired now but very much alive and kicking. Young jimmy is a good friend of mine and still offshore. ��

well the Aberdeen stems from when sgb and mills were at each other to become the best and sell their own designs as being the best mills came out with steel to steel doubles and started setting templates up for speed on base outs the only way any other company could compete against the mills was to set the template up and put it underneath the ledger.
this was a very favourable method up in Aberdeenshire because 1 out of 100 scaffs new how to count and stopped pi55ed up jocks running scaffolds from 5 to 4 boards only joking lads ??
the method was quickly adapted as a safe method of working and quickly adapted offshore this is what my grandfather told me who was from the highlands and always used this system to base out but I would say this is one of many stories who knows

I never heard of an Aberdeen transoms until I joined the forum,
We just called them check transoms in London
And only used if the job was heavy duty or going up high to stiffen the base .

Clem the brush is brother sammy ted watson tony hughes aka the black prince these men knew how to empty a smoke hut lol

the balck prince may have known how to empty a tea shack but he certainly didnt know how to order a round at the Bar:eek:

Pmsl yer right there happy the blue dyed haired one was a tight basket lol

Lets not forget Mike Cowie either…he could empty a Bear Pit quicker than emptying Union Street on a Flag Day…them f*king Hook-ups were brutal...

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

Why is it called after a place where nobody in Aberdeen knows what 1 is. Who has the patent on the name and story behind it?
If its been talked of before please paste the link?

This is an esoteric subject and would take a long time to explain with time lines and changes of Coupler Type and Scaffolding Procedures together with who do we actually attribute the term Aberdeen Transom too ???…I know who has my vote cos I worked with him at Aberdeen Depot SGB and RBG among others…

For what is worth heres my take on it…in the early 70z Scaffolders left SGB in favour for Offshore work with the newly formed Aberdeen Scaffolding…the SGB Men were a quant with the method of setting out using Band and Plate, positioning their Base lift Transoms under the Ledger and fixed to the Standard with a B+P, then fixing Transoms on Ledger with Hooks…

When the SGB Men started with Aberdeen Scaffolding they were presented with pressed steel ( Goldies / Sticky willies ect ) 90z and Single Couplers…
Single couplers not being a load bearing Coupler but merely for positioning, the SGB adopted their old style Band and Plate method of erecting but used the 90z instead…this provision maintained the Integrity of the Structure…every second Standard had an Aberdeen Transom, because in those Days a Swivel was deemed a non-load bearing coupler…

As for who first coined the phrase ??? that may be lost in the mists of time, many may claim that honour, but only one Man knows for sure…and his names not a Million miles from here...:eek:

Last edited:
mike cowie was from what ive been told the originator of this method.
i beleive he took what has been mentioned by Gar and utilised it on the hanging scaffolds instead of just a checker put a tube in and HEY PRESCO(GET IT).;)

Top Bottom