NASC telling more Porkies. (4 Viewers)

aom, I take my hat off to you for taking the time and effort to become a member of the NASC, really I do. I also appreciate the effort it takes to keep up with the criteria of their membership.

The thing that gets me about the NASC is their arrogance and their willingness to put themselves forward as some sort of regulator for the scaffolding industry.

They are not regulators, they are a trade association, nothing but a membership fee charging club. Yes, they have their standards for being accepted into their little club, but we all know that a lot of what they say and publish is little more than marketing, wind and p1ss. A lot of their members blatantly flout the NASC's own rules and the NASC know this. The problem is, the NASC don't have the balls to pull their bigger member companies into line for fear of them leaving their club (and a hole in their finances)

What, like Benchmark? One of their biggest members who they threw out last November for contravening a rule?

aom, I take my hat off to you for taking the time and effort to become a member of the NASC, really I do. I also appreciate the effort it takes to keep up with the criteria of their membership.

The thing that gets me about the NASC is their arrogance and their willingness to put themselves forward as some sort of regulator for the scaffolding industry.

They are not regulators, they are a trade association, nothing but a membership fee charging club. Yes, they have their standards for being accepted into their little club, but we all know that a lot of what they say and publish is little more than marketing, wind and p1ss. A lot of their members blatantly flout the NASC's own rules and the NASC know this. The problem is, the NASC don't have the balls to pull their bigger member companies into line for fear of them leaving their club (and a hole in their finances)

Exactly, a 2 faced cash machine.

Dass, thanks for your comments and I have been accused of being a bit narrow minded in the past, so much so I think they must be right purely because they can't all be wrong. I am no industry expert I am simply a scaffolder working in the sticks and can only comment as I find and what I see and my experience is very different to most quoted frequently on this forum.

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

We have regular meetings with the HSE and this had been discussed (Unlike the NASC the HSE always keep appointments)
I was also informed that it would never have happened as cost, practicality and common sense would have made it unworkable.

As the SCCR grows Swifty you will find yourself in the same boat wanting to do or say something but can't because you have struck a deal with someone else. I would actually be surprised if it hasn't happened already.

The NASC are not her to improve the industry, they are not here to make a scaffolder's job any safer they are here to make money nothing else.
I don't have a problem with that, but It pi55es me right off when they pretend to represent the whole industry when in fact they only represent a minority.

i price and work for about 6 on that list , ive been working towards nasc membership for about 20 years now

Swifty, have you ever read their financial accounts? If that was my business I would have given up years ago.

Anyway boy's it's been a blast, I'm off home for my dinner.

---------- Post added at 07:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 PM ----------

i price and work for about 6 on that list , ive been working towards nasc membership for about 20 years now

haha, how's that working out for ya?

Swifty, have you ever read their financial accounts? If that was my business I would have given up years ago.

Anyway boy's it's been a blast, I'm off home for my dinner.

---------- Post added at 07:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 PM ----------

haha, how's that working out for ya?

I bet there will be expenses most MP's would die for.

did get as far as doing all the paperwork and paying £500+VAT for desktop audit i think , never completed it and ran out of time - they kept me money

Phil - Whats happening with Benchmark now ???

Swifty - i notice your lot arent NASc either and they must have 10+ depots now

That's the thing Swifty, you would bet. There is a lot of accusations flying around with absolutely no substance. I don't mean to get smart but you are obviously dead set against them and nothing I say or do will change that, not that I speak for them or anything and neither would anything they say or do.

Scaffy-18 depots now. There would be no benefit at all, we're happy with the SCCR.

Aom-I only go by what I've seen, I've been around the block a bit.

Last edited:
i notice that NASc now have a page on website listing member companies paints and colours ect
However the bit i like is that its a Mattison lorry in the picture and as far as i know they are not NASC members either

Members of the NASC who are scaffolding contractors mark their scaffold plant with a unique colour paint identified by the description and the British Standard number. Such paints invariably contain a forensic marker which is unique to the specific company and which can be proved scientifically. Therefore the equipment on a lorry should all bear the same paint colours.

This online directory outlines the identification marking systems of members of the NASC, it also provides the principle company address and contact details for the person responsible within the company for security.

did get as far as doing all the paperwork and paying £500+VAT for desktop audit i think , never completed it and ran out of time - they kept me money

Phil - Whats happening with Benchmark now ???

Swifty - i notice your lot arent NASc either and they must have 10+ depots now

That couldn't have been that long ago Scaffy, that's quite a new thing I think.

What, like Benchmark? One of their biggest members who they threw out last November for contravening a rule?

I get your point phil but what about a lot of the other members who blatantly ignore the rule about 90% of the workforce being directly employed?

This is the arrogance thing that really p1sses me off

Attachments

• NASC twitter.jpg
    NASC twitter.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 21
Scaffy-There would be no benefit at all, we're happy with the SCCR.

Aom-I only go by what I've seen, I've been around the block a bit.

Fair enough, same as me really.

aom - it was bout 3 years ago , was doing a load of work for eaga at the time and i had told them " we was working towards nasc" and they kept hassling me so i got underway

I think the main point is that all scaffolding firms work to make a living!

Most service there lorries, look after their gear, work in a safe manner & try to keep up with all the changes we keep facing.

Yet up till now our Industry body has developed an exclusive club & are pushing for principal contractors to use only their members.

The way I see it, your Industry body should help all scaffolding firms to move forward & improve. Those who do not want to work in a safe manner would not join or would be excluded for not following a good working practice.

The fact that you are audited by your competitors is wrong, giving the impression that if you are not NASC you are rubbish is wrong.

No point backing the NASC badge when so many members are not following the NASC rules.

We have SCCR members who are now losing contracts that they have serviced for a number of years because the head office has stated NASC only. The service these companies has not been reduced or been of a sub standard the only issue is that the NASC will not let them join. This is wrong!!!

The problem with this threads starting issue is that if anything is said about the company being listed then more work could be lost. Midas word this issue as preferred member of the NASC. They still use non NASC firms.

AOM if the SCCR was worried who it upset then I would have given up a long time ago its members run the issues & have control. The meetings I have had with the HSE have always been productive & some of the stories of they have tried to force this or that have never been an issue or made up.The HSE want you to work safely to a set method set out in a method statement.

The harness was deemed dangerous so the AGR was thought up. This is impractable in most applications & or too costly. So now we have moved forward to still working with a harness & at extra cost with AGR we can not recover.

Bored now not making sence:D

Expect to some of you I never make sence:(

Ragscaff (This is my opinion not the SCCR's)

AOM if the SCCR was worried who it upset then I would have given up a long time ago its members run the issues & have control. The meetings I have had with the HSE have always been productive & some of the stories of they have tried to force this or that have never been an issue or made up.The HSE want you to work safely to a set method set out in a method statement.

Stewart if I thought you were worried about who upset you I would ask for my tenner back. My point was that in any walk of life compromises must be made.

I could answer your points but will let sleeping dogs lie.

No worries AOM. It never reads right, get some thing in my head but struggle sometimes to get it looking right.

You know I respect what you have done & what you are doing. Its just the system needs looking at.

We might be trying to run before we can walk but with all the changes happening now & more to come somethings got to give.

Options to suit hard working companies, its not all black & white.

Ragscaff

No it's not all black and white and your obviously getting a fuller picture when you understand that. I thought it read just fine and admit to suffering a bit with getting it out my head the way I imagined it.:embarrest:

The respect thing is mutual and I have no intention of doing the SCCR down just trying to blow a few myths about another industry body.

Top Bottom