Scaffolders Impact Wrenches Jan 2017 Memo (1 Viewer)

Obviously a touchy subject, that said......
A tool that works for the scaff on a job does make it the right tool.
To answer a couple of previous questions:
A coupler should be tightened to 50N/mtr which is what I used to check them to with a torque wrench all through the 70's & 80's. A standard box spanner in those days was "designed" at 9" in length which was determined from the average force exerted by a scaffolder on the 9" lever arm delivered the desired torque. (a true 9" not the 4" you think is 9"!!)
The incorrect torque wrench will damage fittings as they were not designed with mechanical means in mind, not as easy as redesigning them think how many millions of fittings are out there!
In answer to "The industry should move with the times" it has moved, It has moved to system this too has been driven by H&S and the need to protect the scaff. It tends to be the scaff that will not move with the industry, changing your box to a ratchet was a move, as is changing your ratchet to a wrench but it needs to be a tool suited to the job.
I don't believe they are a bad thing I am however sure that the need for the right impact wrench has yet to be met by the supply industry.
The wrench would need to have a clutch limiter to prevent over tightening combined with a stop system if the wrench is delivering less than the required torque, it would also need to be light and practical with tether system and a captive socket.
When and only when ALL the criteria are met will this be a suitable tool.
Scaffolding is not and never has been an easy job but easy does not make it right.

Hi Alan,

Firstly, I hope that your settling in to your new position ???…

Regarding the I.W : I maybe shooting myself in the foot here, however, yes, the Industry has moved on to include Prefabricated Scaffold Systems, perhaps it is time to move on a little further with consideration given to wedge capture couplers that would not only eliminate the I.W and with no requirement for a swing over spanner...

Hi Alan,

Firstly, I hope that your settling in to your new position ???…

Regarding the I.W : I maybe shooting myself in the foot here, however, yes, the Industry has moved on to include Prefabricated Scaffold Systems, perhaps it is time to move on a little further with consideration given to wedge capture couplers that would not only eliminate the I.W and with no requirement for a swing over spanner...

All Good thanks Gary.

Wedges, not a big fan to be honest but I know they are very popular in Holland, this bunch would only want to bring in Jack Hammers to put them in :)

Hi Alan…PMSL aye, jack hammers…

Although I have used the capture wedge coupler in the past and met with Wouter the Van Theil man a few weeks ago in Aberdeen where we went through contracting the Bolt Coupler and the Wedge Capture…to be honest they cot a lot of attributes…however, there is just something in the back of my mind that impact could loosen…must be a Scaffolders thing…you could apply the same thinking to certain Prefabricated Systems…not with standing Haki which is in my humble opinion…Haki retention clip thanks the cigar...

Hi Alan…PMSL aye, jack hammers…

Although I have used the capture wedge coupler in the past and met with Wouter the Van Theil man a few weeks ago in Aberdeen where we went through contracting the Bolt Coupler and the Wedge Capture…to be honest they cot a lot of attributes…however, there is just something in the back of my mind that impact could loosen…must be a Scaffolders thing…you could apply the same thinking to certain Prefabricated Systems…not with standing Haki which is in my humble opinion…Haki retention clip thanks the cigar...

I am the same with the wedges, always think they are too insecure???
Have seen plenty tapping the side of the top cup on Cuplok thinking the rake on the cup + the tapping will lock it in NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Did a lot of work with Van T in the pasy but only liked the tube lock side of the product. Made my own sliding transoms using singles welded to the transom.
As a wise man once said Fek they wedges!

We have bought into Haki in a big way and are more than happy with it as a system.

I am the same with the wedges, always think they are too insecure???
Have seen plenty tapping the side of the top cup on Cuplok thinking the rake on the cup + the tapping will lock it in NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Did a lot of work with Van T in the pasy but only liked the tube lock side of the product. Made my own sliding transoms using singles welded to the transom.
As a wise man once said Fek they wedges!

We have bought into Haki in a big way and are more than happy with it as a system.

TBH their secure at the point of application under Manufacturers Recommendations…however, one of their USP's is ease of application, and that may well be the Achilles heel…ease of dismantle…any monkey with a club could conduct Unauthorised Removal…

They got a Global Licence now…Sturgeon Oil and Gas Field recently ordered 1000,000 and Wouter is planning a trip to Oz soon…one of the Big 4 have agreed to trial Offshore…so we see how that goes…yi got to keep abreast of whats happening out there…You chose the right System to put your name too, I would expect nothing less form a Professional like your self…aye, fek the wedges

---------- Post added at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 PM ----------

Oh ye, forgot to mention…I had a meeting with a Training Provider based just outside Aberdeen…after the meeting I was shown around their Training area, their was a Quantity of Haki standing, I asked the Question, are you conducting Haki Training Answer was no, so I did not push it…there was a small sample of Safedeck too…made me wonder whats the script...

TBH their secure at the point of application under Manufacturers Recommendations…however, one of their USP's is ease of application, and that may well be the Achilles heel…ease of dismantle…any monkey with a club could conduct Unauthorised Removal…

They got a Global Licence now…Sturgeon Oil and Gas Field recently ordered 1000,000 and Wouter is planning a trip to Oz soon…one of the Big 4 have agreed to trial Offshore…so we see how that goes…yi got to keep abreast of whats happening out there…You chose the right System to put your name too, I would expect nothing less form a Professional like your self…aye, fek the wedges

---------- Post added at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 PM ----------

Oh ye, forgot to mention…I had a meeting with a Training Provider based just outside Aberdeen…after the meeting I was shown around their Training area, their was a Quantity of Haki standing, I asked the Question, are you conducting Haki Training Answer was no, so I did not push it…there was a small sample of Safedeck too…made me wonder whats the script...

If you want training in Haki they will always provide

Top Bottom