Scaffold Training for a Builder (1 Viewer)

extra180

Reaction score
Hello,
I am a self builder who owns his own scaffold and has constructed two lift independant tied scaffold for house extension work.
I have no formal training, but consider myself competent - through experience.
To allow sub contractors to climb and use my scaffold, should this be erected by and scaff tagged, by a formally trained competent scaffolder ?
Can someone advise what level of training they should have to do this.
And whats the minimum of formal training could I do to allow me to scaff tag my own work, so to allow contractors on top. (assuming a 'scaff tag' is required).
Thanks.

Although you consider yourself competent a judge sat in a court of law may not. If you were in court due to an accident would you be able to answer questions regarding bracing , tie patterns, design requirements. If not you are best getting a reputable scaffold company in

I agree, but I am looking to either acquire the necessary skills, or employ one other to work with me with those skills.
I assume someone with his own scaffold ... is legally permitted to employ another to help erect it, it doesn't necessarily need to be a 'company' to erect it?.

For a person to be competent (ie myself), what would be required - what formal training should he undergo.
In addition - could he (myself) work under a suitably skilled scaffolder, as a scaffold labourer, and in this instance - what qualifications/competency evidence should he ask for, of the skilled scaffolder.

I understand Scaffold does not need to be 'Tagged' by law.
It should be inspected once a week, again - which level of competency should be expected from someone in a position to do this inspection.

Thanks

Last edited:
This post has gotta be a wind up....youve obviously got a fair knowledge of whats required & tbh a little bit of google will fill in the rest.
But if u think your good enough at ot & are covered by insurance than continue to erecr it but get someone in to hand it over & do ur weeklys

I agree, but I am looking to either acquire the necessary skills, or employ one other to work with me with those skills.
I assume someone with his own scaffold ... is legally permitted to employ another to help erect it, it doesn't necessarily need to be a 'company' to erect it?.

For a person to be competent (ie myself), what would be required - what formal training should he undergo.
In addition - could he (myself) work under a suitably skilled scaffolder, as a scaffold labourer, and in this instance - what qualifications/competency evidence should he ask for, of the skilled scaffolder.

I understand Scaffold does not need to be 'Tagged' by law.
It should be inspected once a week, again - which level of competency should be expected from someone in a position to do this inspection.

Thanks
there is no legal requirement to be certified to erect scaffolding. the fact is that if someone has an accident on a scaffold you have erected you may find yourself in court. At this point you may find that a professional may ask you questions regarding TG20 and SG4. If you cannot answer then you are not competent , its that simple.

I know a few builders that think they know how to scaffold. It looks easy and it is fairly simple to put up a little extension but the same builders have removed braces or ties dangerously. It's not quite as simple as popping down the road for half hour to get your scaff quals. If you want to put it up yourself then you could ring a local scaff firm and just get em to inspect it. If they pass it its all good to be worked on. failing that get a subby in

Our qualification & nvqs in a court of law ate proof of our competancy - you saying ur a builder & can put a bit up - unfortunitly in the eyes of the law is not

To be honest, if a self builder came and asked me to hand over his job and inspect it, fuc7 a doodle do, he might have well have got me to erect it to start with, £££££ and it would be the most thorough inspection that would ever have been carried out, EVER. we're talking tape measures the whole shebang. And then the snag list after, (sucking in air through teeth, mechanic style) well that would make his eyes water.

Top Bottom