Advanced Scaffolders System Training (3 Viewers)

Sadly, that's exactly how this will be decided.

I agree down to the individual interpretation with common sense not in the equation .

Once turned up at new build school to erect a birdcage in the glass fronted entrance so the window fitters could repair a damaged panel. Turns out the fitters had supplied there own ally tower and the Safety Officer from the main contractors had ,quite rightly ,put a stop to the works as the ally tower wasn't adequate to take men and materials ie: a 6' x 4' glass panel.

The Safety Officer started giving it the big un in front of the site manager demanding to see our tickets, told him copies would be in the site office along with our induction forms. Site agent said the were all in order but "Jobsworth" insisted on double checking to make sure I as the leading hand had an Advanced ticket .

The window fitters had buggered off for the day and left their tower in our way , when jobsworth returned to say everything was in order and we could start work I asked him who was going to dismantle the tower as non of our squad was PASMA trained ? Turned out he was the only person on site who had one PMSL:D

Last edited:
Feckin brilliant. They don't like it rammed up them do they. mon the scaffs:D

Guys,
I'm new to this forum, We scaffs are confident, but in the eyes of the Law, we have to be competant, this means legally having the knowledge, experience & training, we all believe we are competant, but in all cases we have to have the training for each type of scaffold system, be it Cuplok, Kwikstage , + 8 etc.

Be Humble, admit we need the training, because we do, but don't think for one minute we can't do it really, the problem is guys when something goes wrong.
The man with the big Wig( Court) will look at the facts, irrespective of what we think, in most cases this is your employers responsibility, he should check our competancy

Guys,
I'm new to this forum, We scaffs are confident, but in the eyes of the Law, we have to be competant, this means legally having the knowledge, experience & training, we all believe we are competant, but in all cases we have to have the training for each type of scaffold system, be it Cuplok, Kwikstage , + 8 etc.

Be Humble, admit we need the training, because we do, but don't think for one minute we can't do it really, the problem is guys when something goes wrong.
The man with the big Wig( Court) will look at the facts, irrespective of what we think, in most cases this is your employers responsibility, he should check our competancy

Very well said raymondoscaff
I think you hit the nail right on the head, "competent person"
If your boss is sending you out erecting kwikstage (for example) he MUST train you to do so.

In my 24 years as a scaffolder working mostly with tube and fitting I find these system courses simply a cash cow . There may be some systems I haven`t came across yet but I have worked with kwikstage , cuplock , plus 8 , layer ,haki , allround and ( many years ago anglelok )and not to mention many shoring systems such as pirri .I have an advanced card but I don`t care what card you have , look at the components see how they connect and put it together .If you cannot work out a system scaffold without going on a course you will struggle in scaffolding generally .You can suspend and cantillever these systems but a CISRS CARD SHOULD COVER ALL , cheers .:nuts:

Sure, every system will have it's quircks, but I reckon we could all read a manuall if we had to. There is bound to be a trick or two that users could teach us but I think t&f scaffs could handle the basic principle.:D
totally agree wiv you there.

worked with alot of good scaff all good at t&f but give them system and they are lost.good scaffs should know a bit of all systems.

worked with alot of good scaff all good at t&f but give them system and they are lost.good scaffs should know a bit of all systems.
Come on tam my little lad can put any system together an hes only 4yrs old :nuts:

its some time the companys policy mate fuckin stupid i know

this maybe slightly off topic but relevent to citb scaffolding training. most companies will in time train you.its not the training thats the problem,its the portfolios the scaffolders have to prepare afterwards.i am or was(havent checked lately) a work based recorder
seen it time and again where scaffolders are held up from completing thier porfolios by
lack of job variation.my opinion is that portfolios are just further revenue generation by the citb.and then theres the assesment!

Anyone doing a YTS course will be trained in T&F and system. I was led to believe unless your card stated
part 1 tube & fitting
part 2 tube & fitting
on the back your card covers you for any scaffolding.

Also as said in a previous post on your advanced you erect a system staircase and cos everyone on course had done canterlievers on part 2 we got to do the flying shore. We erected a bit of layer in the middle to work off. I was the youngest on the course and expect some of the older guys would have done adult part 1s and 2s which would have been T&F only but the instructor didnt ask who had been trained in system or who was classed as competent person. Hope this sheds some light

stez your so right ,theres courses for courses lol all in the name of money,its getting out of hand.bet all the course providers have bumped the vat rise on already,sometimes i think the myrid of courses is set up to confuse and mind boggle at time just glad im not doing my initial training now as i think id just get a job delivering crisps mate.

ive been scaffolding 26 years and experienced all the changes (most for the good i might add)from my chargehand arguing with the agent that he either had a brace or stopend handrail not both to double handrails and advanced guardrail systems.health and safety the past few years has increased dramatically,at what cost though.production and accountability(who can we blame when it goes tits up)think what changed it for me was working on the olympics.was working round the back of my site when i got a call from the manager,come to the office plz,so when i got there was shown an email and a photo of a scaffolder tunneling so therefore not hooked on.this person didnt even have accsess to the site(not inducted)simply parked up, wound thier window down(thats what i was up against)
and started taking happy snaps.went back to thier office and started emailing
1 and all no proaction just reaction.glad my time is nearly up scaffolding,because if any one asked me i would say dont :amazed:

nb:all credit to simian picking up the sponsorship,met 1 of your guys kier pall mall,ex scaff to his credit and a walking encyclopedia of health and safety

ive just had kb for a s..t job, reason no cuplok ticket, can anyone tell me where does the training and how much,

All NCC centre run the two day system course,s Haki,Layher,Cuplok,There are called Scaffold System Product Training Scheme. SSPTS

i started on ss years back. had to work my way up to tf.i think when you get this far in our game you dont see to mutch ss and stayaway from yello jelly lol

thanks instructor a 2 day course, is that for all the ss together or are they 1 for 1

You have to be careful with some of these product training. If it say's cup-lock on the ticket you won't be covered for copy systems like Gen-lock and the like, you have to make sure it say's the type on the card like cup, ring or wedge. There will be some who will tell you that this problem has been sorted and no longer relevant but I can assure you there are plenty out there that will take your cash and not care what your ticket says.

Lads, Just to try to answer this question, I've spoken to a source that has informed me, although there is currently no Law (at this time) that states you must have system training to use a particular type of system scaffold, It is at the employers discretion whether or not they require trained personnel to erect/dismantle/modify any system scaffolds.
It's becoming more and more common for employers to demand system trained scaffolders (to cover their own backs).
There are seven system scaffold training courses available to cover the seven most common types of systems used in the UK (CISRS, Haki, Cuplok, Kwikstage, Layher, Plettac, Peri). There is no single course that will train in more than one type of system and starting at £300 a pop...... there's going to be a few of us out of pocket just to satisfy employers discretions.

Well my question is should an CISRS advanced scaffolder have to go on more training course to erected system scaffolds.

What is your view.

I think that a fully qualified Advanced Scaffolder in tube & fitting should not need to get extra qualifications in a system scaffold, as we all know system scaffolding is no way near as complex or difficult to erect/dismantle as tube & fitting, but...

It does have its advantages...
Its quicker to erect, easier for trades to work with, with regards to not having ledger bracing getting in their way, as they work on the lifts, and it looks neater, once its sheeted as you dont have any horns sticking out all over the place.

Horses for Courses, Guys we are more qualified than most.

If the oppurtunity arises for a free course, go for it....Irespective of your beliefs, Knowledge=Power, However, a little Knowledge, in the wrong hands = Anger, which a addition of a D=Danger.

I realise courses are not everyones proverbial 'Cup of tea'. However, the job you's are currently undertaking, shows the Knowledge, of you's being a competent scaffolder, you have the card to prove it, and the knowledge to do it.

We are more compliant than any other trade, regarding, H&S, WAHR 2005.

IMHO, let the Scaffolders, 'Scaffold' And the PC clients, watch in AWE.

Rant over.
Paddy

But i do think that if theres the chance to get another string to your bow and an extra qualification - For Free, then go for it.

More qualifications = More work opportunities, imho.

Just my 2 pence worth.

Top Bottom