Have I been ripped off?

iandboyle

Reaction score
Had some work done recently by a contractor who didn't tell me how much the scaff costs would be as they were included in his quote, but extra weeks would be 10%.

I'm now being asked for £300 quid a week for the scaffolding as original cost was £3300.

So my question is - is the best part of 4 grand reasonable for 4.5 weeks scaffolding?

5 bed detached double fronted house, all 4 sides including extension with 2 platforms all round house.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Four weeks hire included in original price, ten percent per week additional each week thereafter. Sounds about right.
What's held the job up? I'd be cracking the whip with your contractior if I were you.

I've had 2 separate contractors on it. The other contractor reckons if I'd got scaffolding from the bloke he uses it would have been £2600 for 4 weeks. If you think £4000 is reasonable then I won't have a moan about it, but that seems a big difference between 2 firms

I get cost variation and could accept 10 or even 20 per cent depending on the size of the firm, £1400 for the same job seems a little excessive

I recently priced a job Ian at £1100, the customer had 2 other quotes and they were £1400 and £1800. £700 difference for the same job. It's the nature of the beast. Also your builder could be sour because he is being blamed for the job running on so putting it on the scaffolders toes!! Nothing new there I'm afraid!!

Ok mate that's very helpful - thank you

Why did the job run over period? If you required extra works then fair enough. But if the builder didn't complete within the time he specified and allowed, should you be penalized? If the job took longer through no fault of yours then have you incurred cost's from the delay and disruption of the overrun and can you quantify those costs?

I think the over run is a bit of a red herring - I was merely trying to establish if £4K was a reasonable figure for 4 weeks scaffolding.

As previously explained their can be quite a variation in pricing of any one job from company to company. Each will have its own idea on labour cost to erect and dismantle, transportation costs, material hire cost and then the application of their overhead and profit. It is always advisable to seek several quotations, compare specification and prices and then discuss if any discounts can be offered before placing your order.
In your case no, you haven't been ripped off, you just didn't do your due diligence.

The price was £3300 which seems about right for the job (we don't have the measurements measurements )
The builder would have asked the scaffolder for a price based on how long the work would take him with an extra hire cost ,
Sounds like you have had to use another builder for what ever reason and the job has been delayed at no fault of the scaffolders ,
Did you not hold some sort of retention on the first builder ?
If so use that to pay the scaffolders if not it's maybe a hard lesson learnt

I cba to type the full story out - I've had the feedback I was after and I've learned in future to ask for an itemised quote for work including scaffolding itemised so I can get separate quotes. Thanks for the input

The cost of a scaffold for 4 weeks is not the rental cost of the scaffold but the costs related to the erection, dismantle, transport and associated costs along with the hire normally a depreciation rate times a greed factor.
The rental would form a small part of the quote and additional hire (unplanned hire) could possibly be twice the normal hire rate but would be charged as a proportion of the main elements such as hire.

As Binthere states, due diligence was required

The cost of a scaffold for 4 weeks is not the rental cost of the scaffold but the costs related to the erection, dismantle, transport and associated costs along with the hire normally a depreciation rate times a greed factor.
The rental would form a small part of the quote and additional hire (unplanned hire) could possibly be twice the normal hire rate but would be charged as a proportion of the main elements such as hire.

As Binthere states, due diligence was required

" Greed factor " :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I've had 2 separate contractors on it. The other contractor reckons if I'd got scaffolding from the bloke he uses it would have been £2600 for 4 weeks. If you think £4000 is reasonable then I won't have a moan about it, but that seems a big difference between 2 firms

It's always easy to be cheaper on a job already given to another!

Top Bottom